luzhun

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Hello. Here are the specs of the PC:

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Zx - PCI x4 slot
Speaker System: 2 Logitech Z-5500 surround sound systems hooked to an optical splitter
Cabling: THX Certified Fiber Optic Cables going out of the Z5500 Control pods into an optical splitter and then into the Sound Card's SPDIF port.

Here is what I am wondering about:

I would like to get the best possible audio quality sound, so I would like to know what I would need to adjust in the OS settings and if there is anymore hardware that I may need to get such as a receiver that has dolby digital / DTS drivers built in and can output that kind of quality?

I am not sure if I did get a receiver, that perhaps I would be able to make it work with the Z-5500 systems somehow? Thank you for more information on this. :)

MERGED QUESTION
Question from luzhun : "What is the BEST setup for SPDIF Dolby Digital Audio?"

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
There really isn't anything you need to do. Dolby is pretty standard as a format, the quality of the output signal is pretty much dependent on the digital to analog conversion hardware that decodes the signal. In theory a high end receiver will have a "better" signal, but Dolby audio is so horribly compressed anyway I doubt there'll be any difference.

luzhun

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

Wow! Thanks for the reply. Do you know how to tell if a receiver is of high quality? Can you share some examples?

Also, do I have other options other than Dolby Digital? It sounds like you are saying there are even better out there? I guess all I have known or heard about is Dolby Digital, THX, DTS, etc..

Thanks for the information. Have a great day!

luzhun

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

Sorry's! :/