What is the difference between AMD A8-4500M Quad-Core and Intel core i3-3110m?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockdpm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

Don't give out any Personal contact information in a thread. Its in the rules bud.

And I'd go with the I3 if it were me. But what are you using the laptop for?

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
The A8 wins somewhat in highly threaded performance, but loses in lightly threaded performance to a somewhat greater degree. For a gaming system, the A8's integrated graphics is superior, assuming that the Intel system is also relying on integrated graphics since Intel's integrated graphics is generally inferior in gaming performance.

The A8 also probably wins in idle power consumption while probably losing in full load power consumption.

elianejkohn

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
I apologize...I did not read all of the rules when I sent in my question. This is for personal home use. I like the laptop that has the A8 quad core but didn't know if I should spend the extra money for the i3. I do like a fast processor...if that makes a difference?

Rockdpm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

Which basically makes them even chips. AMD wins where Intel doesn't while Intel wins where AMD doesn't. wouldn't you agree

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010

Competitive, yes. Equal? Not so much. There's too much variation between their losses and wins and the often significant margins of them. For example, the FX-8350 and a similarly priced i5 are competitive because they trade blows, but they're not equal. I'd say that they have equal positions as relative to the other overall, but different situations can call for one over the other.

However, I suppose I might be over-complicating it at at point :lol:

elianejkohn

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
I appreciate the information. However, I am still not sure which one would be better for me because I don't know the differences well enough to know what will fit my needs. This would be a home/personal use PC and I would use it mainly for internet, downloading pictures, instant streaming of videos, and light work using word and excel. I would like a quick processor especially for internet use and videos. Thank you for your guidance.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Both would do that job just fine. Go with what's cheapest and/or has otherwise superior specs (maybe you'll like a higher capacity hard drive or more RAM if there are differences in those between the two systems that you're considering).

akbsol

Estimable
May 9, 2015

Hi there,

While reviving an old laptop I am stuck on a confusion. Either I can restore it as A8-4500m + 7670M 1GB or pay 40-50 bucks more and restore it as i3-3110m + 7670M 1GB.

Can you point me to the source of the quoted information and if possible help me with my confusion on which route to take? Intel option is attracting me just because generally intel systems run cooler than AMD though both boards have same ATI chip.

Thanks,
Akash

Status
Not open for further replies.