Solved! What is wrong with my asus? I'm stumped

theredball

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I have an asus g51-vx best buy addition laptop, warranty is already done with. My power jack seems to be broken, so instead of soldering a new one on I added a second one to the same solders; it's an external one coming out of the dial up modem port. The reason for this was mostly out of laziness and not being very skilled at de-soldering; what happened was while I was testing the new plug, the battery started charging for about a second, and then the AC adapter fell and shorted at my new adapter because I hadn't electrical taped the wires yet and they touched.
Now after trying a new connector, re-soldering, and even splicing the adapter directly to the power jack cord coming out of the laptop, I cannot get any power to my computer.

The symptoms it was showing were: power jack was wiggly, computer would switch in and out of battery and AC mode a lot, I had to hold the ac cord at a specific angle or the computer wouldn't charge, and eventually it just stopped charging and the battery died. It's been a few months because I'm a bit tight on money, but nothing has happened to it since that.

The motherboard seems like it's brand new from the factory, no busted capacitors or anything like that; might be a bit of flux left on it but that is all

I can't find anything wrong with this computer but it will not start! I have tried hard reboots, taking the battery out, and even putting more thermal paste on the heat sinks. Anyone run into a similar problem, ever? How did you fix this? How would a computer shop repair this? Think it's the power jack? I checked and made sure there was voltage coming through and there's no resistance according to the ohmmeter.

Help me out guys

Solution
If it was untaped wires coming out of the computer that touched, while having a charge run through them, then it's either a fuse in the computer or your fried something in the computer outright. (do computers even have fuses?)

Nothing about that description makes me feel good.

Ummm......does the motherboard have a pin hole reset? Maybe that might work?

theredball

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

already tested it, and indeed it is putting out power. The power goes through the wire I connected to the power connector solders, and it's a full connection as I can pick it up on the original power connector that's still connected to it.

Hoping it's not a mobo issue, because the mobo has definitely not shorted out as far as I can tell from looking at it

Fadekyn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
If it was untaped wires coming out of the computer that touched, while having a charge run through them, then it's either a fuse in the computer or your fried something in the computer outright. (do computers even have fuses?)

Nothing about that description makes me feel good.

Ummm......does the motherboard have a pin hole reset? Maybe that might work?

Solution

theredball

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

Yup untaped wires out the back of my computer, wasn't supposed to be there long was just a test to see if the connection was good. The chargelight came on for about 2 seconds before my hopes were dashed as the charger fell to the floor, pulling the cord and causing a small spark exposed wires.
There's no noticeable short on the mobo, but I know you can't always see them. And yeah they have fuses but no idea how to find a bad one. Can someone give me a hand with that maybe?

No pinhole reset as far as I know

Fadekyn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Go to notebookreview.com, go to the forums under the discussions tab. Find the ASUS room and then find your respective model. I can almost guarantee they'll know where the fuses are and whether you have a pinhole reset.