What language should I learn first?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

surrealdeal

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
I hate to disillusion you kid, but no one in their right mind is going to pay a highschool student to program anything. your best bet is to learn how to use office applications and maybe SQL and get yourself a minumum wage desk job. Aside from that, if you're really passionate, you should learn x86 Assembly, because only then can you trully appreciate the finer things. C or C++ is recognized more by the industry, but, again, if you are doing this as a hobby and expect to get paid for it, you are sadly misinformed. But here, perhaps this will inspire you:
http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos110.htm
www.programmersheaven.com/
Or you can cut all that B.S. and get this:
http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Language-Prentice-Hall-Software/dp/0131103628
http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-Special-3rd/dp/0201700735

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
hate to disillusion you kid, but no one in their right mind is going to pay a highschool student to program anything

I kinda already figured that. Was going to use the knowledge for my own use and maybe make me a website or 2.
I mainly wanted the knowledge but if I could make a few bucks along the way that would have been fine....

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
You can make money on the side making websites, lets put it this way if you neighbour or somebody you know has a company that he's trying get more work a good way is with a web site and seeming you know how to make one, now you could make it for him. I'm not saying you'll get rich but you can make something. I have and now a year later making a few bucks at it, I have been asked to make a few more and the more I make the more the word gets out. Its how much energy you put into something that will make you money.

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
thats what I thought I would do. Is there an aprox per web site in $ what would a beginer make a website?

And I thought maybe that I might come up with a creative website and possibly make some money from advertisers.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005

You make yourself a local trading post, a place where people can exchange anything and you in no time will make make money. Online good will., it's your energy that will make you money. For your own site at first you'll have to pay for an advertiser to handle your subscriptions but it won't be long before you make money if your site rakes the hits. Sara's site is an excellent example of that. Never think you cant, second you are learning something that is in strong demand web administrator so your time and energy has been used in a positive way.

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
For your own site at first you'll have to pay for an advertiser to handle your subscriptions but it won't be long before you make money if your site rakes the hits

What do you mean? I thought advertisers payed me?

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
If you want a trusted advertiser to display auto feeds on your site you have to pay a subscription fee it is the way it is, however you are paid according to the amount of hit you receive. You can go with a less trusted advertiser that has no cost, that puts you on the bottom of a search. Lets say you are the trading post and someone does a search for that well if you pay for a good advertiser you will be on the 1'st page, they try to advertise the site as well as promotions of goods. You can get a sponsor that will pay for this stuff but the site has to be very interesting and that sponsor will cover the cost but you need a good site that getten hits
Keep in mind if your site hit front page news they will come to you no cost and you'll be rich

TRENDING THREADS