What Language Should I Learn to Program in First?

Apr 30, 2013
I'm 14 now and I've always been interested in computers since I was 7 or 8. I've known how to completely assemble computers by age 10. So I want to work with computers when I'm older. I thought of building computers because I think it's fun and easy, and then virus removal, then performance increasing by defragging the hard drive, taking unnecessary processes out of startup, clearing the browser cache, emptying the recycle bin, etc... but now I want to try and learn computer programming.

I've coded before in Java and made a Runescape bot, but that was 2-3 years ago and I don't remember anything. I want to learn multiple languages so I can be better with computers overall. What language should I learn to program in first? After this, I'm going to learn about computer networking.

xomm

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Languages are easy enough to pick up and learn - you've got plenty of time anyways. It's the concepts you'll want to get down if you want to delve into programming early. Try to pick up Java again or Python and learn about Object Oriented Programming (assuming you've gotten the basics of Procedural programming down). Nearly everything else you'll learn in school (data structures, for instance) relies on OOP, so it's a good thing to learn early.

IMO, the three most important ones to get down first are C, Java, and Python.

Edit: HTML isn't a programming language, and I'd agree that it's not much of a priority (nor is it all that difficult to learn), but it's useful to at least be able to recognize the syntax and what it means, though.

static1120

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Altough Im not a programmer
I think you should learn Java
its implemented into many things
I am 17 and I started learning about computers when I was around 9-11
I simply dont learn programming becouse Im lazy :D
Yet again I dont know much but Id say stick to Java

static1120

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Altough Im not a programmer
I think you should learn Java
its implemented into many things
I am 17 and I started learning about computers when I was around 9-11
I simply dont learn programming becouse Im lazy :D
Yet again I dont know much but Id say stick to Java

Apr 30, 2013

I know nothing about coding so far. So no, I have no idea what Procedural programming is. :p

Also, this is kind of unrelated. But since I was looking to work with computers when I'm older, I have two options. One, next year in 9th grade I can go to Votech, study computers there and leave high school with a degree. Or, I can go to regular high school, then go to college for computers. Which is better?

bgrt

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Depends on what you want to do. If you want general programming experience, then Java. It's used everywhere, including in schools and in industry. C++ is a good choice if you're interested in writing games, desktop and mobile applications.

Apr 30, 2013

I'd probably like to learn both Java and C++. Also, do you literally say C++ as "C plus plus" or... and also, how much money do computer programmers usually make? Would I be better with building computers or programming money wise? I'm looking to make $60K+ a year when I'm older.

williamwu2k12

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Start with python first. It's the easiest language. Then, if you're interested in developing games, learn C++ because most modern games utilize that language. Although really, most languages are really similar, so once you get the main concepts down (functions, object oriented programming, recursion, etc.), you'll learn any other language much faster. But definitely start with python first.

xomm

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011

Yes, C++ is pronounced C plus plus.

Salary will depend, but generally it will be at least 60K (Web Developer), and it only goes up from there. Projections are saying that IT salaries will only be increasing for now, but I can't speak for when you'll be entering the workforce. (Again,) Generally speaking, equivalent levels of jobs on the software side of things pay about the same as the hardware (e.g. networking) side. Building computers won't pay as well as a programming or networking job, but I don't have any specific info on that.

Personally, I wouldn't go to a votech school - College education (i.e. at least a Bachelor's degree) is only getting more common, and you'll be the odd one out if you do votech and enter the workforce with a cert or Associate's degree. [strike]I'm pretty sure the votech school won't give you all the info that high school will give you, and going to college after votech will only be harder because of that, both in terms of difficulty, and getting into a good one.[/strike]

EDIT: I guess it would depend on the votech school and how highly its program is ranked. That'll have to be research on your end though.

bgrt

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Software jobs are pretty "hot" right now, but just because there's so much VC money going into tech startups these days that big established tech firms (and medium sized firms as well) have to keep up. If that money dries up one day, salaries might stagnate or there might even be job cuts.

Salary depends on your company and region, but I haven't heard of entry-level software people getting less than 60k anywhere in the country. Major tech areas on the west coast like near Redmond, SF Bay Area are paying at least 75-80 for new grads. Keep in mind though, this is not the dotcom era anymore and software job interviews can be tough.

Building computers make very little money.

bgrt

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

I heard working at game companies is like working in a sweatshop. But for some people the work is worth it.