What product should I buy to reduce Fan noise

ofnep

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
i have a Dell studio 1558 with ATI mobility 5400 series graphics card. Lately the fan had been producing a lot of noise and it was overheating giving me BSOD s. i opened and cleaned the fan, it now runs cool but the fan noise is still there. Now i want to replace the fan but I have no idea which fan to buy or if i need to buy the whole heat sink as well. Can any one help me with the product page or ways to make the pc silent. :??:
qqaPQ

here is a pic.

ofnep

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

after I cleaned the fan the pc has been running cooler and i have not had any BSOD so i assumed it was high temp. I was wondering if i had to buy a new fan to reduce the noise or are there any technique/mod to make the fan silent?

geekapproved

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

I asked WHAT FAN? What fan are you talking about? A case fan? A cpu fan? A GPU fan? Northbridge fan? PSU fan?

I also asked WHAT IS OVERHEATING....you didn't answer either question nor mention in your first post...... :pt1cable:

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
It's a laptop... so it probably only has the one fan... jeesh.

Your bearings may have gone bad in the Fan... You could try to Google your PC model for parts lists... Or you could take your fan out, it should have a sticker on it with a part number... Google that and it should come up with replacement fans.

Heatsinks don't really go bad... so you shouldn't need a new one of those(unless the Fan and heatsink are one-in-the-same, some come as a combo). May also want to consider a Cooling Pad for $20.

ofnep

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

thanks. yes I have looked at some parts, I did share the ebay link on earlier post. i think i'll be getting one of those fan for £9. another side question do the fan detach from the heat sink fairly easily or are they attached with glue/adhesive?
qqaPQ.jpg
2ewNc.jpg

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
typically they are just held in by a few screws... you can see them in the picture... they aren't glued because the glue can melt... pretty straight forward. I cannot view your pictures form my current location, sorry.

ofnep

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

cheers for the info.

geekapproved

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
My appologies for not realizing he posted in the laptops and notebooks section.

But even so, I wasn't surfing the laptops and notebooks section when I came across this post, so it would be nice to mention your talking about a laptop. Not everyone is going to google the make and model when you say you have a loud fan, there going to ask you what fan your talking about.

ofnep

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
update
i just tried the new fan bought from ebay for £9... it did not fit :fou: . apparently I might need a new heatsink JUST to replace fan and they are freaking expensive.
The build quality of the fan i bought was shockingly POOR. I managed to rip open to expose the blades(without any effort at all )and now I have replace the original blades with the new ones i bought. The GOOd thing is that the pc is much silent BUT the cpu are getting really really HOT about 95-98 degree C at light use and weirdly my cpu load is extremely high(is it due to cpu under-clocking in response to the temp?)
does anyone have any idea as to how to lubricate the FAN or make it smoother?