Question What speaker outputs can be controlled with TV remote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

szury

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
I am thinking about getting some active bookshelf speaers for my 60 inch tv instead of a soundbar (any recommendations up to $300?).

One of the features I need most is to be able to control the volume of the speakers with the TV remote.

My TV does not have a 3.5mm jack. What other audio outputs can be controlled with a TV remove? Will the optical audio cable work?

I am thinking about getting some active bookshelf speaers for my 60 inch tv instead of a soundbar (any recommendations up to $300?).

One of the features I need most is to be able to control the volume of the speakers with the TV remote.

My TV does not have a 3.5mm jack. What other audio outputs can be controlled with a TV remove? Will the optical audio cable work?

This is exactly why I don't use my powered monitor speakers on the TV, no good way to control volume on them, since the speakers don't have a remote for most models. Even with a soundbar you would need to use the soundbar volume.

gjlang

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015
This is exactly why I don't use my powered monitor speakers on the TV, no good way to control volume on them, since the speakers don't have a remote for most models. Even with a soundbar you would need to use the soundbar volume.
Not too sure about your last line. My Sony sound bar volume is adjusted with my Samsung TV remote. Of course any sound settings have to be set with the sound bar remote but once set I never use it. I did experience a particular problem though. Once the sound bar was hooked up, the on screen volume indicator would jump 2 ticks at a time up or down. I was later informed that the Sony sound bar volume is designed with 50 steps, low to high. The Samsung TV has a 100 step volume. Each sound bar level corresponds to 2 TV levels. A design difference.

Not too sure about your last line. My Sony sound bar volume is adjusted with my Samsung TV remote. Of course any sound settings have to be set with the sound bar remote but once set I never use it. I did experience a particular problem though. Once the sound bar was hooked up, the on screen volume indicator would jump 2 ticks at a time up or down. I was later informed that the Sony sound bar volume is designed with 50 steps, low to high. The Samsung TV has a 100 step volume. Each sound bar level corresponds to 2 TV levels. A design difference.

How this works depends on the device and the connection you use. HDMI ARC would do it with compatible devices, Optical will not.

helpout

Estimable
May 15, 2016
The only audio output on a TV that will always work with the TV remote is a 3.5mm headphone jack. All other outputs are usually fixed volume.
If you have to use one remote get a Logitech Harmony universal remote.
Hugely helpful !! I read over 20 articles trying to figure out how to control soundbar/speaker volume with the TV remote and they never even gave the 3.5mm headphone jack a mention !!

Status
Not open for further replies.