What to do with the ancient laptop

So I just snagged an IBM Thinkpad T20 (free).

Not 100% sure of the specs, but I believe:

Pentium III - 700Mhz
256 MB RAM
Small hard drive
DVD-ROM drive
Windows 98 SE

The immediate problem is that there isn't a battery charger. I can pick up a replacement for $6 on Amazon. Once I can get it to boot up, I can verify the specs, but even if I do, what to do with it?

I was thinking a MAME system, but I was looking for other options/opinions.

-Wolf sends

Solution
I have a couple of similar level laptops. Dell, Sony, Fujitsu.
The only reason I kept the Dell PII 300mhz around was to interface with the car OBDII port. It was the only device I still had with a serial port.
It currently has W2000 on one drive, and PuppyLinux on another. Takes 10 minutes just to boot up.

Other than that...not much use at all.

Since I recently got a USB cable to interface with the cars, the old Dell (along with the rest of the stack of crap) has sat on a shelf.

USAFRet

Illustrious
I have a couple of similar level laptops. Dell, Sony, Fujitsu.
The only reason I kept the Dell PII 300mhz around was to interface with the car OBDII port. It was the only device I still had with a serial port.
It currently has W2000 on one drive, and PuppyLinux on another. Takes 10 minutes just to boot up.

Other than that...not much use at all.

Since I recently got a USB cable to interface with the cars, the old Dell (along with the rest of the stack of crap) has sat on a shelf.

Solution

cryoburner

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
That's not an ancient laptop. I have one of these, weighing in at 14 pounds with a black and white screen... : D

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/2223/Compaq-Portable-SLT-286-1903/

It would actually work quite well as a doorstop though. I haven't tried to slide it into a manilla envelope yet. It does work though, and runs Windows 3.1 reasonably well, though running any software from beyond the early 90s might be a challenge.