What to get

Mar 14, 2018
High time I updated from my bog-standard and ancient Nokia and got a phone which as well as doing calls and texts can get me on the internet and do emails, take photos and videos, and record sound.

I AM NOT in the least bit interested in streaming films and TV, listening to music or gaming.

So what should I get?

Solution
This depends on your location, budget, how large a phone are you OK with, about 20 different variables that will get you 20 different answers.

First thing, are you in the Apple environment, Microsoft, Google accounts? First decide if you want to go Apple or Android. Really there is no 3rd or 4th choice there. If you like being told what to do and what to use, then go with Apple, the plus side of that is that you don't have to think much about the programs and what to do with the phone, Apple is happy to only give you one type of connection and one way to get anything installed. If you already use a MAC at home and/or have your stuff in iTunes, then Apple may be better.

If you don't already use Apple stuff and you don't care to...
This depends on your location, budget, how large a phone are you OK with, about 20 different variables that will get you 20 different answers.

First thing, are you in the Apple environment, Microsoft, Google accounts? First decide if you want to go Apple or Android. Really there is no 3rd or 4th choice there. If you like being told what to do and what to use, then go with Apple, the plus side of that is that you don't have to think much about the programs and what to do with the phone, Apple is happy to only give you one type of connection and one way to get anything installed. If you already use a MAC at home and/or have your stuff in iTunes, then Apple may be better.

If you don't already use Apple stuff and you don't care to compare your phone to everyone else about how new and expensive it is, then go to Android which is the Google environment. It's a lot more open but also a lot more open for advertisers and information sharing to use all the features. For example Google Photos can automatically backup your photos, tag them all with location and even people in them, create movies for you, suggest edits, create a timeline of a trip you took just form the photos and location tags, etc... For all that to happen you need to share your location, photos, etc.. with the service. Which I think is fine, since I am not paranoid about some Google server knowing that I was in Chicago for a week or something.

When you get a smartphone, you will be using it for movies and music pretty quickly, unless you simply are not interested in those things.

Solution