What type of internet do I need to use the Fire stick?

AstatheWFT

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017
I have charter/spectrum internet and cable TV. The modem is a Netgear and is upstairs. The TV's are downstairs. When we use our Kindles downstairs we can only be on the 2G network (the 5G is only available upstairs where the modem is). Can I use the stick on the 2G? Will it be fast enough?

We will only be watching Amazon Prime movies (no gaming etc.). As far as the Fire TV - my Ethernet is upstairs on my modem (TV's downstairs) so I wouldn't be able to hook to Ethernet.

Looking forward to your answer. Thanks!

Solution
Does the Firestick support 2.4ghz band: YES
Will it be fast enough: dont know with the limited information given.

Signal power of your router/modem, number of floors/walls it has to pass through, and how many feet the wifi signal needs to travel all greatly determine what level of signal you will have at the firestick.

If you are using the ISP provided modem/router combo then I would put 85% probability on no.

For a dual story house it is usually best to have a router and access point to distribute wifi well accross the house.
By far best to wire the two together via ethernet cable, but next best option is to use av1000 or faster powerline adapters between them.

AstatheWFT

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017
Thanks that's a nice list. Unfortunately, I don't understand it. Perhaps I should have asked a different question. Will the Amazon fire stick work with my charter/spectrum internet which runs on 2G.

Does the Firestick support 2.4ghz band: YES
Will it be fast enough: dont know with the limited information given.

Signal power of your router/modem, number of floors/walls it has to pass through, and how many feet the wifi signal needs to travel all greatly determine what level of signal you will have at the firestick.

If you are using the ISP provided modem/router combo then I would put 85% probability on no.

For a dual story house it is usually best to have a router and access point to distribute wifi well accross the house.
By far best to wire the two together via ethernet cable, but next best option is to use av1000 or faster powerline adapters between them.

Solution