What WikiLeaks CIA Hack Means for You and Your Gadgets

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreggyB

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017
@Paul Wagensil
"1) When has WikiLeaks ever dumped material belonging to the Russian intelligence services?"

Are you suggesting that they need to release Russian intelligence documents in order to prove they don't work for Russia? Given your tone in the article, and using your logic there would be no way for them to 'prove' this, hence why you making the claim is disingenuous, as the claim can be neither proved or disproved.
But if you want some wikileaks on Russia, here are some:
https://wikileaks.org/Syria-Files.html
(There are more, but I can't be bothered to wade through several thousand pages of the "russia runs wikileaks" propaganda that has been released in the last two months - But anyone who was paying attention knows this question you are making is deceptive and misleading).

"2) Who benefits from this new release?"

The average citizen. The odds are that the Russians, the Chinese, the Brits, and our own intelligence agencies already knew about a large portion of this stuff. Now, the average person can understand why we shouldn't just take the word of the us intelligence community about cyber espionage - namely because a large number of state and non state actors have access to the techniques described in the leak.

One final note on your advice: "run antivirus software where possible" - Somebody didn't do their research on this one- the leaks describe ways to subvert / corrupt anti-virus software such as McAfee - so this isn't necessarily helpful if someone is running anti-virus software that can be hacked.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014
If you want to see it that way. I don't blame Trump for this; I don't think he'd knowingly betray the United States. But there's no question that the Russian intelligence services want to sow fear, uncertainty and doubt about their American counterparts, and about democracy in general. This is part of that overall process.

Tom_1313

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017
"No question" you say? Why is there "no question"? Can you please cite some proof of these claims that Russia is behind the so-called "hacks"? Particularly when it was Americans like Manning and Snowden who leaked to WikiLeaks in the past?

Do you really think intelligence digital security is so bad and porous that the Russians hacked it? Then I'd say it's about time to overhaul CIA from top to bottom anyway, right?

But that's not what's happening. There's a Civil war inside the intelligence community, man. THAT circumstantial evidence is far more apparent than these claims of "Russia! Russia! Russia!"

Probably won't matter. WikiLeaks tweeted today we've only seen ONE PERCENT of the Vault 7 stuff. There's so much more to come, and I'm sure we didn't get the juiciest stuff first.

Valentina_4

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017
Everyone should know this!!! especially those who cares their privacy! Russian Pavel Durov tells on how CIA gets access to messengers: https://en.crimerussia.com/gromkie-dela/pavel-durov-on-how-cia-gets-access-to-messengers/

Steve_205

Prominent
Mar 25, 2017
Wikileaks may have finally opened up peoples eyes to what is really going on in our world. Everybody thinking our government is out for us and they us terrorism as there excuse to spy on us. It's all garbage its all about control. The NSA, FBI and the CIA are all the same. Wake up people save our country now or its over. Also a safe search engine that doesn't track you, a good old fashion private search engine Lookseek com. Have a awesome day.

Status
Not open for further replies.