What's a good budget tv that displays 1080p@60fps?

Solution
no. when you get up to 120Hz it takes a later generation cable, but any version will do 60Hz.
i use an LG 47" 60Hz 1080p television through HDMI as a secondary display for my PC and it does 60fps fine with V-Sync enabled in games.

what's the problem with the Samsung? just no signal or does it respond with an error?

JohnBonhamsGhost

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
no. when you get up to 120Hz it takes a later generation cable, but any version will do 60Hz.
i use an LG 47" 60Hz 1080p television through HDMI as a secondary display for my PC and it does 60fps fine with V-Sync enabled in games.

what's the problem with the Samsung? just no signal or does it respond with an error?

Solution

JohnBonhamsGhost

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016

television and movies display at ~24 fps unless they are HFR(High Frame Rate) Blu-Ray. though they display ~24 frames per second they are still transmitting at 60Hz refresh rate.

if your Samsung has a ClearMotion setting it will fake a higher frame rate by displaying the same frames multiple times. makes live action like news and sports look more life-like and with animated videos it looks a lot smoother but with most regular movies and shows it just looks strange to me.