What's an ASD EFI test in Macs?

rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I'm starting a job as service technician and I'm using ASD to test our macs by pressing the But I don't know how an ASD EFI test is done, what key combination? ALT key, we have a server for that. I sometimes do a hardware diagnostic (pressing D or alt+D). Is it simply another way to call the ASD or MRI test? Do you need a usb flash drive for that?

Also: what's an ASD OS, how do you do these tests?

Thank you

luna74

Estimable
Sep 4, 2015
Here's a quote from a text document that I believe contains the answers to all of your questions: "The Apple Service Diagnostic application is designed to run both EFI and Mac OS X tests from an external USB hard drive. Apple Service Diagnostic (EFI) runs low-level tests of the hardware directly and does not require Mac OS X, while Apple Service Diagnostic (OS) uses Mac OS X to run tests. Booting and Using the Apple Service Diagnostic Application - Before using Apple Service Diagnostic, disconnect any Ethernet network, USB, and audio cables. - With the USB hard drive containing ASD 3S123 plugged into a USB port, restart the computer and hold down the option key as the computer boots up into the Startup Manager. To run ASD (EFI) select the "ASD EFI 3S123" drive icon and press return or select it with a mouse click. To run ASD (OS) select the "ASD OS 3S123" drive icon and press return or select it with a mouse click. ASD (EFI) will load in 20-30 seconds; ASD (OS) will load in 2-3 minutes. - After running ASD (OS) or ASD (EFI), press the Restart button to restart the computer back into the normal startup volume, or hold down the option key to get back to the Startup Manager. ASD is no longer delivered as an image to be restored onto a DVD. ASD 3S117 and newer versions requires installation onto an external USB hard drive"

rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Thanks for your very good answer. I've been trying ASD EFI and OS as you say and works fine. I wonder what's best to do a proper memory test for a Mac using ASD, something as good as Memtest86.

luna74

Estimable
Sep 4, 2015
Dear rodion15,

First off, I'm really happy that you found my initial answer helpful. In response to your follow up question: It appears that Apple Service Diagnostic is an application designed very differently from Memtest86. As far as I'm aware, there is no option to perform a memory test (on its own), however ASD includes a memory scan in its overall diagnostic scan. This appears to be a program specifically designed for the singular purpose of performing a full diagnostic scan and only providing information to the user in the form of an error code (if one is found), and that is the extent of this program's capabilities.

Although comparing ASD's memory testing capabilities to Memtest86 is something I know nothing about. I do know that the best way to do a proper memory test using The Apple Service Diagnostic application is to perform an "extended test". I'd especially recommend performing an extended test if you've received the "No trouble found" message from the standard test yet you still suspect an error. Although though the extended test may take more time, it is better at detecting memory and graphics problems than the standard test. Also, seeing as this was an application designed by Apple for Apple for as a stand alone OS to serve a singular purpose, I personally feel pretty confident in my assumption that ASD is likely, at the very least, comparable to any other diagnostic tool on apple hardware. I hope this helps, and answers your question!

P.S. Incase you're having issues understanding ASD's output here are the Apple Hardware Test Error Codes:
Error Code Description
4AIR AirPort wireless card
4ETH Ethernet
4HDD Hard disk (includes SSD)
4IRP Logic board
4MEM Memory module (RAM)
4MHD External disk
4MLB Logic board controller
4MOT Fans
4PRC Processor
4SNS Failed sensor
4YDC Video/Graphics card

rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Thanks a lot, sorry about the delay in answering, I'm quite busy lately.

rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Thanks for your answer. I'm planning to create a usb stick with memtest86 on in...when I have a little time to do it.
Cheers

luna74

Estimable
Sep 4, 2015

No worries, I'm happy to help! Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!