what's better: defender + mbam, or a standard AV?

shmu26

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
windows 8.1
I presently have avast internet security 2015 installed and running as my only protection .
Previously, I also had malwarebytes antimalware premium and malwarebytes anti-exploit premium, in addition to avast. But I experienced conflicts and slowdowns with this combination, so I got rid of the latter two, and kept only avast.

Question is like this: Maybe I would be better off the other way around, Maybe I should get rid of avast, and run windows defender with the two malwarebytes programs?

which way is better: one good, standard AV program, or a combination of three programs, each of which is insufficient on its own?

Solution
Avast! is fine. windows security essentials / windows defender is junk, and while MWB is a fantastic one time use AV (manual scan) it's an unremarkable active protection AV.

Stick with Avast!

that said i'd combine AVAST! with comodo firewall, as the prior poster said you can't download common sense, and the best antivirus is only as good as the person behind the keyboard, but i've found comodo (while a bit irritating at times) does a pretty solid job helping out the guy sitting at the keyboard from doing something stupid.

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Avast! is fine. windows security essentials / windows defender is junk, and while MWB is a fantastic one time use AV (manual scan) it's an unremarkable active protection AV.

Stick with Avast!

that said i'd combine AVAST! with comodo firewall, as the prior poster said you can't download common sense, and the best antivirus is only as good as the person behind the keyboard, but i've found comodo (while a bit irritating at times) does a pretty solid job helping out the guy sitting at the keyboard from doing something stupid.

Solution