What's more important?? A good processor with 2.7ghz or with idk 4ghz? What does ghz do and is it important in gaming

CraigN

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
There's no straightforward answer to this. It depends on how well the chip's single threaded performance is.

For example, a 3.5 GHz Intel i7 quad core performs better in most games than a 4.0 GHz 8-core AMD, because it has better single-thread performance. It really depends between which two you are picking between. Your graphics card will be a bigger impact on your gaming performance than your CPU will, but a bad CPU will bottleneck you.

CraigN

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
There's no straightforward answer to this. It depends on how well the chip's single threaded performance is.

For example, a 3.5 GHz Intel i7 quad core performs better in most games than a 4.0 GHz 8-core AMD, because it has better single-thread performance. It really depends between which two you are picking between. Your graphics card will be a bigger impact on your gaming performance than your CPU will, but a bad CPU will bottleneck you.

GameRage99

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016

well i'm going to buy a rig that's pretty good and it has gtx 980 and the processor is Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) so the real question is i can buy the i7 4.0GHz or the i3 3.9GHz but do they make a difference from each other? btw i'm buying it for 99% gaming (duh)

CraigN

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
Yes. they make a big difference from each other. A dual core with hyperthreading (2 cores, 4 threads) will be slower than a quad core with hyperthreading (4 cores, 8 threads).

Honestly, if you're trying to cut cost of that rig, then go for an i5-6600K. For games, there's not a gross performance advantage of having the i7 over the i5, but your i3 will last you a lot less time, especially for a rig that you're throwing a GTX 980 into.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Laptop General Discussion 3
F Laptop General Discussion 3
W Laptop General Discussion 1
T Laptop General Discussion 4
N Laptop General Discussion 8
H Laptop General Discussion 1
P Laptop General Discussion 3
J Laptop General Discussion 2
E Laptop General Discussion 1
E Laptop General Discussion 3
C Laptop General Discussion 7