What's The Problem Solver if you had Overheated Hard Drive??

21emon

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015
Hi everyone !
I have some issue that I aware that could happen since 3 years I buy my rig ..MY LAPTOP JUST GET STUTTER SLOWLY WHEN PLAYING ANY VIDEO GAMES!!

*ehmm*
So my problem already appear about one month ago, when i just very excited to download some "big data" via torrent coz i usually copying file from my friend before he moved to another city -__-
i just realized that something wrong with my laptop the one week after. I feel the transfer rate of the hdd is very very slow and it stuttering even I try to play video games which have low end spec. this problem followed slow respond of another apps when working and overheat in the left side of keyboard.
First time I think I just have to change the thermal paste of the CPU coz whenever I get my laptop overheat of course it meant to change the thermal paste and its work before. so okay, the first solving is change the thermal paste in my neighbor store. but when I check the result, i didn't get what i expect to. it just get worse (i think). my laptop just overheating when i touch the down side when i try to browsing or play movie about 2 hours. it feels like an flat iron :D . after that, I try to ask my friend who know little bit about computer and he suggest me to clean hdd and reinstall the OS. yesterday I try to reinstall and upgrade my OS to win 10, but in the end it still overheating "plus" my disk usage is 100% in a long time. I even cannot browsing internet when doing data transfer in a same time.

bdw, my laptop type is ASUS N43SL(i7) with Nvidia GT540

so guys, if you want to give me a hand from my story above
I would really appreciate it :D
thanks before..

Paperdoc

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
I am guessing that you (or someone in a repair shop) have opened the laptop case and disassembled it at least partly, since you say you have replaced thermal paste several times. You should open it up and look for something else.

One thing that can cause significant overheating in laptops is dust build-up. Dust can block air vents and screens, but it also can accumulate in some of the air ducts and block them. Sometimes this is not easy to see when air ducts are closed. You should try to open up the air flow path so you can be sure that all dust bunches have been removed. I had a laptop we fixed this way: it had a big lump of dust at the back of the ducts right against the fan, slowing the fan speed down.

As a second thought, be careful when replacing thermal paste. Old dry paste and too little paste can cause trouble. But too MUCH paste also can cause overheating. Even if excess paste does not squeeze out and contaminate something, a thick layer of thermal paste actually reduces heat transfer. So make sure you have applied just the right amount of thermal paste according to the manufacturer's recommendation for your particular CPU chip.

21emon

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015

Thanks for reply my question :shakehands

Before I got this issue I was change my thermal paste in repair shop like three times since I buy this laptop
thanks for the advice,
but is there a way to detect the fan's fault using a software? if no, I'll leave it over to repair shop
coz I just newbie on hardware stuff like this :D

Paperdoc

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
You might use software but only if you already have done that before. There are software tools (some in your BIOS Setup screens, some perhaps in utilities that came on a disk with your laptop) that allow you to see the fan speed. So if you already know what the fan speed should be when the computer is too warm, then you could look at what it is today to see if it is running very fast or very slow. If it's very fast now, not enough heat is being removed either because the air flow ducts or vents are partly blocked or because heat is not moving well enough from the CPU chip to its heat exchanger. If the fan is running too slow, then something is interfering with it, OR the fan itself is wearing out.

But if you don't already know what speed the fan used to run when the machine was working better, you can't tell if today's speed is right or wrong.

21emon

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015

The fan is always get one condition when my laptop going warm. It always running standard but tends to be slow. I say that coz it didn't feel warm on the fan area but when I touch the hdd it feel so hot. And once I check, the hdd temperature was up to 78 celcius degree..