What's wrong with Windows 7 Update?

Adamastor

Estimable
Nov 3, 2016
For almost a year now,my two laptops(Acer Aspire 5315 and Asus NJ82 Series)haven't receive any kind of update regarding OS,applications and most important for me right now,any update to my hardware drivers.
I've recently installed 'Driver Tool Kit' and notice that 28 drivers are seriously outdated. For the record,my two laptops have Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1.My Acer laptop has a 32-bit edition and my Asus has the 64-bit edition.
If anyone who's reading this can shed some light into this, i'll appreciate.Thanks.

Solution
Install theese updates manually, to fix windows update problems on windows 7
(windows update service must be stopped, go to services and stop it).
This first:
http://www.howtogeek.com/255435/how-to-update-windows-7-all-at-once-with-microsofts-convenience-rollup/
This after that:
http://wu.krelay.de/en/2016-07.htm

SammChisnall

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
We are having issues with Windows 7 updates too. I've read somewhere online that MS are giving priority to Windows 10 updates and so the Windows 7's are taking longer to download/never making it to their destinations.

SkyNetRising

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016
What happens, when you launch windows update manually? Is it disabled?

You shouldn't be using Driver Toolkit or any third-party driver-finding software.

Just go straight to your laptop manufacturer's website and get the latest drivers for your model from them.
What's so hard about that, that you feel the need to use a third-party driver utility?

And as for it telling you that your drivers are "seriously outdated", well that's just way over the top.
There is nothing "serious" in having drivers which aren't the latest versions if they work okay.

I never install any driver utility to do tasks that can be done using the correct method as explained above.

As for applications, they won't update automatically unless the application has an auto-update option and it's enabled.

Adamastor

Estimable
Nov 3, 2016
No,it's not disabled.It just nothing happens,there's no transfer of any kind.

SkyNetRising

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016

You should be a bit more specific.
Does windows update finish searching updates and no updates are found?
Or it just runs all the time without any progress?

J_E_D_70

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I have the same issue - shows updates are available but none will move past 0%. Same happens if I try to manually install. I've run the update fixer, stopped services and deleted update history, etc to no avail. Putting win 10 on one box fixed it, gave up on the one that's still win 7.

SammChisnall

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

We have the exact same issue, i've found that if you attempt them individually its only some updates that get blocked. As i mentioned above i read that the Win7 updates have been put on a lower priority due to the big Win10 push. Its almost like blackmailing people to upgrade.

gdmaclew

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Microsoft really borked the Windows7 Updates sometime last year. I ran into this problem on 3 separate PCs and the above solution worked every time. It does take some time but it works.

Adamastor

Estimable
Nov 3, 2016

Adamastor

Estimable
Nov 3, 2016
It just runs all the time without any progress.There isn't a progress bar showing any transfer as we used to see when updates are simply available.For instance i spent an entire morning waiting for something to happen,usually 2-3 hours and nothing happens! the green bar goes around and around.The only thing that still is updated is Security Essentials.thats it.
(PS:the reason i'm answering late is because i don't have internet access at home.i need to go to a public spot.sorry about that)

sn2112

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Fixing non working win 7 updates. (x64) Fresh installs now seem to work 8/2017

Here is how to fix "The update is not applicable to your computer"when trying to install KB3172605 (which is the real fix).
I too got this error - here is how to fix it. Essentially, you will need to install 4 seperate updates,
in this order:
KB3138612,
KB3145739,
KB3020369,
KB3172605.
That will allow Windows Update to work. Here are detailed instructions:
1. First, change your Microsoft Update setting to "Never Check for Updates" (Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update). This will help prevent the Windows Update Service from trying to run while we install all these updates. Next, reboot your computer.

2. If you've already installed update KB3135445, you need to un-install it. Go to Windows Update/Installed updates, and right click it and uninstall it. Reboot your computer.
3. Download all 4 of these from Microsoft: KB3138612, KB3145739, KB3020369, and KB3172605.
Do not install them yet.
4. Click Start, and in the search box, search for "Services" - open the one with the little cog/gear. This will open up the "Services Window".
Right click "Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)" and STOP that process.
Next, Right Click "Windows Update" service and STOP that process.
You may need to stop these processes several times - they may try to start back up. You will stop these services right before you install each one of the 4 updates, and you will do it immediately before you install each one, making sure they're stopped.
5. Install KB3138612. Reboot. Reboot again (twice).
6. Stop BITS and Windows Update in Services again. Make sure they stay stopped.
7. Install KB3145739. Reboot. Reboot again (twice).
8. Stop BITS and Windows Update in Services again. Make sure they stay stopped.
9. Install KB3020369. Reboot. Reboot again (twice).
10. Stop BITS and Windows Update in Services again. Make sure they stay stopped.
11. Install KB3172605... this time, it will work and get installed (I promise). Reboot. Reboot again (twice).
12. Change your Windows Update setting to "Download Updates but Let Me Choose to Install them", and then check for updates. It may take 5-10 minutes for it to find updates, but now it WILL WORK, and it will find updates now. Credit goes out to InfoWorld for this solution. Enjoy Windows Update now working on your computer! ~DJ?