Whats your favorite CD->mp3 app and why?

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I am trying to decide on what application to use to convert my 200+ CDs to mp3s.

I want an application that will do the conversion, name the files and fill in all the tag information.

So I just what to know everyone favorite program and why they prefer it to the others.

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
My favorite one is <A HREF="http://www.cdex.n3.net/" target="_new">CDex</A>. It's fast, easy to use and free.

jihiggs

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2001
audio grabber with lame. you will not find anything better than lame as far as mp3 goes.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I am a big fan of open source so I have settled on CDex.

However I was disapointed to discover that it could not detect any of my CD/DVD-Rom drives!

It took me a good 20 minutes of searching the forums and FAQs until I discovered a setting that will tell it not to try to use ASPI.
to work best.

If I get bored I might download the source and see if I can write some code that will try each setting and default to the one with the most visible drives.

JustPlainJef

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2001
I hate to sound lame, but seeing as most of my time in front of a computer is at work (buying a house makes home PC time harder to come by), and since it is a large corporation and there are standards (well, a few anyway) I have been using Windows Media Player. Before I get stoned to death, you can use one program to rip, listen and manage, and burn. And it is free. I know that it isn't the absolute best, and you have to "purchase" a plug-in if you really want MP3's and not wma files, but it does the job, and fairly quickly. So it is just an option. =o)

What's a signature? Oh, those words that show up after all my comments? I don't need one of those!

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
Cdex is the best so far, for me. (free and can extract cd audio up to 320kbps).

The Ultimate Video Processor:
GeForceFX + Radeon + Parhelia = "Radeohelia FX"

aryiu

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
CDex, it, support Chinese T, free, frequentily update, user friendly.
I have written a tutorial for it, but in Chinese. Btw, convering 200+ CDs to mp3 takes a time and free spaces, and the quality is not good, compare with CD quality.

No matter how much you know today, you will have to know more tomorrow.
I feel sorry for my bad English and I am in Hong Kong.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I like to use Winamp to play my Mp3's and i like to use MusicMatch to edit tagz, and burn (burns fast and east)...

RIG
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
maybe becuase mp3 is now the standard format for pc audio, and even in audio components, cd-mp3 support is added.

<i>
"I'll Take A Quiet Life
-Handshake to Carbon Monoxide- Th.Yo."
</i>