What's your favorite social media platform, and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graybush

Estimable
I'm curious to see what type of platforms that the group prefers over others.

For example, I find it very easy to use and lurk on Instagram, especially because they give such visual responses. However, I'm not a huge fan of twitter mainly because of the way they present their main tweets along with the retweets and the likes.

I'd like to hear your thoughts in the matter.

I have a facebook page because f pressure from family (before I had none lol) only have my immediate family on private account and 99% of the posts made on my page are done by my wife wanting to share something funny.

I have business LinkN account but have not looked at it since last month...

I prefer verbal (teamspeak) or real life people interactions aside helping people on TH

and 5o% of the 99% I expect are at your expense :) I have only seen my wife's FB page 2 or 3 times and it has 2 basic topics:

a) Look at the wonderful thing one of my kids did
b) Look at the silly thing my husband did

actually mostly cat video and crap like it, I only peek at it once a week or so... don't even carry the app on my phone, I usually get a "did you see" followed by my response "nope its not Sunday did not look at Facebook... Ill check it out later..." which she rolls her eyes at me.. lol

You are kind of barking up the wrong tree. Most of the more senior/experienced members on this forum are either active or retired I.T. pros and between the complete lack of data security/privacy and the general social media culture, most of us just dont have much interest.

You will find the majorty of us who do have accounts have them for professional and family obligations and that is pretty much it.

Graybush

Estimable

This is all pretty interesting! Do you guys not use social platforms because of their interfaces? The user experiences? Is it because the underlying lack of privacy and security that social media uses?

I also have a Facebook, and while I'm not as active as some of my friends are on it, I tend to use it as a convenience tool to see what my friends are up to and what's happening in my area.

no twee-tin, no Facebook, no what's-app, or what ever else they are called, I have a full life and no time to stare at social media to see cats on rumbas or latest stupidity people post about themselves their neighbors or what not, I know what's going on the world by watching 4 World wide news (BBC, RDI, France24, Al Jazeera) cast in the morning before work and NPR in the car on my way back to the house.

if I need to talk to someone, I call them on my phone. I do plenty of Texting and Emails in a day for my IT work (traveling technician) that I get home, the phone goes down, its set for "leave me alone" mode from 6pm-4am unless on my emergency list of phone numbers (friends and family only).

who needs Facebook to know someone is upset because of the politics, why does my 24 year old nephew only works 2 days a week in a bar, and plays video games the rest of this days... my best friends daughter got a new daughter, my 84 year old mother in law is on her death bed, my 82 old Mother rocks the bowling alley on weds.. lol I don't need an app to tell me what's going on around me, I speak to my peers, and listen to the stories they bring to me over coffee or beer and sometimes, a little too much wine, besides its makes for good laughter.

I do I guess socialize online, sometimes, when I want to scratch some records and Dj some music in a 3d world called Second life. but that doesn't happen often... (been 3 months since I Dj'ed online)

Edited for typos and other mistyped things

Note: I think you will find most over 50 do little of those social things like the 20-35 groups does all the time...

Graybush

Estimable
So do you guys feel that since you already have established forms of socializing, that using a social platform becomes more of an obligation than an intuitive tool?

That's pretty fascinating. See, I didn't get a chance to work with hardware on a purely technical level. I have a parent that's a data engineer, but my other parent is a Luddite (don't ask, even I question their marriage sometimes). So when social media gained traction and I got access to the internet, it was like my world got infinitely bigger and I craved to find more people like me, and social media was a tool to do just that.

I remember when AOL Instant messenger and i though ... phones, faxes, cell phones ... and now even a more intrusive and annoying way for people to interupt my day :).

Social media is just that ...

No, I really don't wanna see a picture of your Happy Meal before you ate it.
No, I don't ever wanna see a selfie you took ... emphasis on the ever
No, seeing another cute cat video is not going to brighten my day
No, I don't care what any Kardashian did today

The main problem is topics start trending and now matter how lacking in fact, the topic gets reported by legitimate news outlets simply because "it's trending". I don't have time for that nonsense.

suddenly feel psychoanalyzed ..

2 boxes before you, one with a million dollars one with maybe 20 millions which do you open.?

my answer is neither, I don't like to be analyzed. :)

seriously its something the millennial s feel they need to complete their day.. good for them :)

Well, if i was White House staff, I'd try and take away Trump's Smartphone, that would cut their workload by 2/3 :)

All kidding aside, it's less than being annoying than it is a total lack of perceived value ... social media is to is to intellectual discussion what McDonalds is to proper nutrition.

Graybush

Estimable
Oh I don't want anyone to feel psychoanalyzed, I'm just genuinely curious.

Blackbird, if you feel social media platforms are akin to global tracking devices, wouldn't you say the same for Google as well?

James_carton00

Prominent
Feb 10, 2017
Well in my opinion or my analysis facebook is the better than another social platform. Because of well maintain paid marketing option will enable to entertain our customer

Status
Not open for further replies.