When I connect my laptop to TV via HDMI cable, I have sound on laptop but not through TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishAnimal

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
I connected my laptop to my TV through an HDMI cable. The sound goes through the laptop, but not through the TV. I checked in the control panel under playback, and right clicked to show disabled devices, and the TV isn't listed. Any ideas to a solution?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

Control panel / sound! And you will see the HDMI port of your graphics card, not the TV.

noidea_77

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

Control panel / sound! And you will see the HDMI port of your graphics card, not the TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

BasV

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014
I had the same issue, the HDMI device didn't show. I did manage to get it to work (how -> see below) and then I could set it to default. This did NOT solve the issue for me (although it does seem to work for many if you read the forums).

Try this:
- open Control Panel => Device Manager
- Click the little triangle on the left next to "sound, video and game controllers" to make it drop down
- You'll now see your sound devices, I for example have 2, one is "ATI..." the other "Realtek..." (depends on hardware obviously)
- Right click each one in turn and click "disable". Click "yes" when the warning pops up.
- When they're both turned off, right click each of them again and click "enable".

Should work fine now. If you click the sound icon on the bottom right of your taskbar it should show an icon of your TV (actually HDMI) now rather than the standard speaker symbol.

Kind of annoying for me, I need to do this every time I hook my laptop up to my tv... but it works. No idea why though, but it does it for me.

GL

LeoCraft

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014

I don't have a solution but I desperately need one.

I have a Fujitsu Lifebook E752 and I get perfect video on my TV but no sound through my HDMI cable.

I have a Philips TV with four HDMI ports, one of which says "HDMI Audio In". I have tried both types of ports on the TV, I've tried different HDMI cables, etc. However, I first had to go through a DP to HDMI adapter.

When I view "Playback Devises" in the control panel the only option I have is "Realtek High Definition Audio Device". Fujitsu Tech Service says it is a problem with my TV (surprise!), not my laptop. Tech Support also says that there should be another option to select from "Playback Devises" but there is not.

PLEASE HELP!

BasV

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014

Do you get sound from your laptop while playing or none at all?
Try the solution I described in the topic if you do get sound from the laptop.
I suppose it could be the adaptor, perhaps you can try connecting an additional standard sound cable from some audio out on your laptop to your tv and see if that does it

LeoCraft

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014

I get sound from my laptop but not from the TV. I have tried two cables and different HDMI ports on my TV. But today I went to another house that has an older Philips TV and the adapter, HDMI cable, and sound work perfectly. So, it works on an older Philips TV but not on the newer one. I had a chat session with Philips and they gave me the run-around about not having the latest system software on my TV. I spent an hour attempting to "update" my system software with what the CHAT GUY said was the latest version. But in checking the publication date, I discovered that it is a 2008 version... older than my TV. Still looking for the solution. If this helps you solve the problem, here is the Philips TV Model and Serial Number: Model Number 42PFL3403D/27 ; SN YA1C0819004053

BasV

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014
Did you try the solution I described higher up in this conversation? I suppose it's worth a shot although it does sound like more of a tv problem than laptop.

LeoCraft

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014

I am convinced that it is a TV problem because now, as I am writing, sound and video are working perfectly with HDMI direct from an Asus Netbook and HDMI through an adapter on a Fujitsu Laptop, both to ANOTHER Philips TV that is an older model. So it has to be a problem with the newer (five year old) Philips TV and Philips Tech Services not been helpful.

Last piece of data: The Philips that works, "Playback Devices" shows P.C. Speakers AND a TV/Digital option. The Philips that does NOT work, "Playback Devices" shows only the P.C. Speaker option.

Anyone: How do you upgrade Philips TV System Software? I think this must be the problem... and thanks for your help.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

I have an Acer with an AMD graphics card and when I tried that at first I didn't have to do anything accept connect. The all of a sudden i had the issue your having. What I did was what was said be under sounds in Control panel. When the HDMI wasn't connected I believe i had it set to realtek which is my sound card. When the laptop is connected to the tv with HDMI the AMD logo appeared as a sound option. I click on that and then the sound came out of my home theater system speakers.

So basically I had to go into Manage Audio devices (windows 7) then in playback i had to set the sound to AMD instead of realtek.
See below

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-change-default-playback-recording-audio-device

LeoCraft

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014

I think we are getting close to a solution. Here is the new information about my Philips TV.... please ignore the earlier information. I was transcribing the Model # from a sheet instead of reading directly from the TV. So, please give me the link to the system software update for this Philips TV: Model 42PFL5704D/F7

zerrryu

Estimable
May 13, 2014
Right click speaker icon, go to playback devices, right click the speaker option (TV option is probably missing), then hit "Show disabled devices", enable hdmi through tv, then your done.

sam11123

Estimable
Jun 15, 2014
The issue is the TV not the laptops. Here is how the I fixed the issue after trying everything I could've though of: Turn off the TV and unplug it from the power. Let it set for 10 min so it can reset itself. Turn it on and plug it to the laptop with the HDMI cable. You should see it detected in the laptop and it should work now.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.