When I plug in my subwoofer I get a loud buzzing sound

DCWaffle

Estimable
Mar 3, 2014
I have the Polk Audio PSW12. When I plug it into an outlet I immediately get a loud buzzing sound. When this is happening I'm not able to play any audio using the sub.

Occasionally when I plug it in and mess with the power switch I'll get a crackling sound and then the buzzing is gone and I'm able to play music.

I'm using a standard 120 volt outlet and if it matters I'm using component cables from my TV as the input. Although I know it isn't the input because the buzzing goes on as soon as I plug it into the outlet, regardless if the component cables are in or not.

This started happening about a month ago but I haven't been in town to fix it. I've heard talk about fuses in the subs but I haven't a clue what that means really.

All helps appreciated! Thank you.

Solution

Anything can be fixed if you want to spend enough. The difficulty of...

kanewolf

Judicious
There is an electrical problem in the built-in amp. Might be bad capacitors, might be bad solder. No way to know without physically examining it. I don't know how possible it is to get to the amp on that model. It looks like it is screwed to the case, but I don't know if you can remove it easily because they probably used adhesive to create an air tight seal. That was a $200 subwoofer originally, you may have to get a new one....

DCWaffle

Estimable
Mar 3, 2014

Because it's just a bad part inside, is it possible to just replace the part and have it working new again? I'm not worried about how hard it is to get inside. Also really don't want to drop that much money on a new sub :C

kanewolf

Judicious

Anything can be fixed if you want to spend enough. The difficulty of getting in, fixing and restoring all goes into cost to fix. It takes time to identify the bad component(s) and replace. All it takes is money.... There is no way to know what the repair will cost.

Solution

DCWaffle

Estimable
Mar 3, 2014

Time will tell, I find out a friend of mine is giving away a subwoofer so I'm off fine. Thanks for the help.

kanewolf

Judicious

It is a good possibility Or it could be bad solder on a cap, or it could be a bad diode/SCR. There is no way to know for sure without physical examination and testing.