When I turn on my laptop the screen is black

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlara75

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
When i turn on my laptop the screen stays black. I can hear the fan running and the charger light is on, so why isn't it turning on correctly?

Solution
Hello.
My name is John Chol de Mawuer, a South Sudanese who pursued his tertiary education in Kenya.
Although my feedback will reach you at a time when you might have already dump your old Laptop for another one. I think i will have to tell you these simple tricks to help you next time when you experience this same problem or helping your friends/relatives who might be stuck with this problem.....
As i was taught back then in school. there are several problems which cause the screen to experience the blackout.......
JUST TRY THESE SIMPLE STEPS TO SEE IF IT GONNA HELP.

Electrical hitches.
Remove your laptop's battery, unplug the power, hold power the button for 1 to 2 minutes, turn on computer with power plug only...

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
galeener may be right.

Or it could possibly be that your outputting to the wrong screen - most laptops have a "Fn" button that can be pressed in conjunction with a little screen on the keyboard to switch to either internal display or external(say F1 or F2).

amazingjoy

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
I have a compaq mini and I can hear it running and the green light is on but my screen is black. I didn't shut it down last night just closed the top, as I have before, and I have never had this problem. Could you help?

Chol de Mawuer

Estimable
Aug 21, 2014
Hello.
My name is John Chol de Mawuer, a South Sudanese who pursued his tertiary education in Kenya.
Although my feedback will reach you at a time when you might have already dump your old Laptop for another one. I think i will have to tell you these simple tricks to help you next time when you experience this same problem or helping your friends/relatives who might be stuck with this problem.....
As i was taught back then in school. there are several problems which cause the screen to experience the blackout.......
JUST TRY THESE SIMPLE STEPS TO SEE IF IT GONNA HELP.

Electrical hitches.
Remove your laptop's battery, unplug the power, hold power the button for 1 to 2 minutes, turn on computer with power plug only, then shutdown, add battery and restart

Magnetic On/Off Switch to detect of Close/Open Lid
Your magnet switch is fubar some how. Open up the speaker cover and see if your lid actuator switch that come in contact with the magnet on your lid cover is stuck or not (find where the magnet is in the back of the front lid cover, trace where the magnet area actually touches the base of the computer and you will find the switch) Workaround, start windows with lid at 30 degree angle

Software
Try Fn + F5 or something like that

For the hardware's perils. I may not be able to truly execute it because i'm not competent in the computer hardware's issues.....

Thank for your question and i hope this elaborated trial gonna help you and the others who might be experiencing the same problem and confused on what to do.

John Chol de Mawuer, Juba-South Sudan

Solution

Sneaky Jumper

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015

I have the same problem with my netbbook. My PC is a Dell Inspiron 1090. You guys said to remove both battery and charger plug and hold the power button from a half to full minute. The only problem is that the "battery" below my laptop is different (picture is in link to see what it looks like). Is there another way to solve it? If I have to get it to a computer shop I'm too lazy but I have to do it (I'm 15 btw)

How my PC battery looks like: http://imgur.com/AfZG6ui

AyshAliKhan

Estimable
Feb 8, 2015

well this technique could result in loss of some of your system files, endagering your warrenty claim too. the same thing happen with my sony vaio E serires, n it stell happen on n off. i have read many articles, followed it, but nothing results in solving my problem permanently... and still i am facing this problem to present date and I start hating windows 8, Sony Vaio Care, if it could not provide CARE to its customers....

mach_ri

Estimable
Feb 10, 2015
Hi everyone.
I face the same problem but i used to solve myself you need to troubleshoot.
First step: remove bettery from your computer and press power button for 30 sec. And start normal, if doesn't work. You need to refresh your pc in booting. This is depent on the window you are usin let me give u example with window 8.1 remove your bettery from laptop and insert again now when you restart your pc press f11 continously so you will see boot menu, there is an option refresh your pc select it and press next next until it refresh itself hope this would solve your problem but this would remove all you new install app but your file will not delete...

janjan

Estimable
Feb 15, 2015

mine too i have sony vaio but when i turn on its black and the mouse arrow is working ctrl-alt-delete is working

ambergren

Estimable
Feb 28, 2015

Hi, I tried to do this but I need additional space. How do I go about removing stuff that I don't need?

ehlin

Estimable
Mar 1, 2015
Hi, experts,

I'm new to this community. My laptop has the same problem. I tried everything, but still the screen is black. I tried
1. Unplug, remove ac adaptor, hold 2 minutes, turn on.....
2. Press fn and f5
3. Press f11 continuously.... Etc etc, still no magic.

At beginning there is normal start up sounds only the screen is blank, now there is no sounds at all. I am the woman only know how to use. Other than that, nothing else about computer. Can somebody give me your advise what to do next.? Many thanks. Lin

Isaiah Bustamante

Estimable
Mar 9, 2015
Hi! It happened to me aswell. I took out the batter for 60 seconds, then turned it back on, when it turned on, I held the poeer button for a minute then turned it back on, it worked perfectly. The long power button reboots the lights in the PC. Try this.

Aizen Itachi

Estimable
Mar 24, 2015
Hello
A blank screen might be also caused by a faulty RAM or a faulty RAM port.

This worked for me:
Switch off the laptop.
Change the position of the RAM.
Switch on the laptop.

If this doesn't work. Get a different RAM and test it.

Status
Not open for further replies.