Where did the malware come from.

mrdyer84

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Got hit with "viceice" malware/hijacker yesterday. It was a pain to get rid of, and even harder to figure out where it came from. I've scanned the crap out of some recently installed software with Avast and Malwarebytes they pick up nothing in the install files. Malwarebytes actually removed viceice when I ran it in chameleon mode but it doesn't detect the installer (I'm guessing) that the malware was packaged in. Right now the only thing I can think of is to reinstall all of the software, and run a scan after each install to figure out where its coming from.

I really would like a quicker option, or something that can scan an installer. Any suggestions?

*Update*

Booted into safe mode, ran Hitman Pro, Herdprotect, Malwarebytes, Avast, and AdwCleaner. None of them pick up anything. But something that I installed caused this issue. I have the installers on my computer, I've scan and re-scanned all of them. So now I'm starting to really wonder where the hell this thing came from...

mrdyer84

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012

Yeah, that's what I figured, but I wasn't sure if there was something specifically designed to scan installers, or maybe better at scanning installers.

This has been driving me nuts trying to root out where this came from...