Where is the tradeoff in noise/Heat and performance currently?

Urumiko

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Hi,

I currently have an XPS 17 L702x. I forget the exact spec but I think it is an i7 2.9ghz, and 3GB gt550m with aftermarket SSD.

Its nearly 3 years old now and it still meets my needs gaming wise as I mosly play league of legends, or relatively old FPS games like bioshock. But it is getting a bit over the hill.

I'm toying with the idea of an upgrade and I certainly dont mind paying for a gtx980m but....

The thing that really annoys me with my current laptop is that its pretty loud under load even after being re-thermal pasted and cleaned etc. I'm probably perticularly sensitive to it as my desktop is silent.

I like a sturdy chassis such as the alienware17x, but i'm guessing the fans will be pretty loud.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any laptops out there that have reasonable grunt but are relatively quiet?

Solution
You'll probably be getting mobile haswell + mobile maxwell combo which will surprise you how much power/fps it will deliver while not producing much of heat/noise.

The best advice would be to do your own research though.

1) set max. budget you are willing to spend on it
2) check ASUS, DELL, MSI and other websites for their current gaming laptops offerings
3) select a few models which come close to your budget
4) check reviews on them(toms, anandtech, youtube, newegg etc)
5) select the best laptop & find the best price for current model and buy it :)

milkod2001

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
You'll probably be getting mobile haswell + mobile maxwell combo which will surprise you how much power/fps it will deliver while not producing much of heat/noise.

The best advice would be to do your own research though.

1) set max. budget you are willing to spend on it
2) check ASUS, DELL, MSI and other websites for their current gaming laptops offerings
3) select a few models which come close to your budget
4) check reviews on them(toms, anandtech, youtube, newegg etc)
5) select the best laptop & find the best price for current model and buy it :)

Solution