Where to get GPU Enclosures?

Charlie A

Estimable
Mar 20, 2016
Hi there, long story short I'm building an eGPU rig for my laptop and am wondering if anyone has used a case specifically for GPUs before and does anyone know if you can purchase the AMD one that was showed at CES yet? Seen pictures but can't see it for sale.

Where can I buy these magic boxes 0_o ???

The only ones I can see right now are ridiculously priced thunderbolt ones (I'm using PCIe) and Alienware ones. Razer has one too I think.

I would like this as its one portable package and will have power supply all in one box, save wires dangling around.

Getting an ASUS R9 390 Strix (350 Watts)

Solution
Alienware graphics amp and razor core are the only commercial egpu products currently in production with a psu inside. But you can't use them since you need mpcie plus they are expensive so not idea to repurpose. Most enclosures don't have room for the psu, or use a small one, and you'll probably need an atx psu.

Even if you get another enclosure, the adapters are different shapes and sizes and the mounting points will be at different places. Egpus are diy solutions for most setups. Making a case from some acrylic would be easy. Some people have used small pc cases, like mini itx cases that will fit the card. Or mod old cases, hdd, nas, pcie or other enclosures. A mini itx case is probably the quickest and least hassle and can be...

k1114

Distinguished
Alienware graphics amp and razor core are the only commercial egpu products currently in production with a psu inside. But you can't use them since you need mpcie plus they are expensive so not idea to repurpose. Most enclosures don't have room for the psu, or use a small one, and you'll probably need an atx psu.

Even if you get another enclosure, the adapters are different shapes and sizes and the mounting points will be at different places. Egpus are diy solutions for most setups. Making a case from some acrylic would be easy. Some people have used small pc cases, like mini itx cases that will fit the card. Or mod old cases, hdd, nas, pcie or other enclosures. A mini itx case is probably the quickest and least hassle and can be found for pretty cheap.

Solution

Charlie A

Estimable
Mar 20, 2016

I've been looking at some mini ITX/ATX cases, still seem very bulky but some look very stylish. In the setup, will everything be powered from the PSU or will my laptop use the AC charger too?

The school I study at has a 3d printer, I could maybe even make a DIY case with plastic acrylic for peanuts given some help from the technicians.

Even if Razer cases worked with my laptop, I wouldn't give them the satisfaction for £200! Also, should I acquire some cheap fans?

Or do you know any mini itx/ATX cases you'd recommend under £80?

k1114

Distinguished
The laptop needs to be plugged in and the psu is also plugged in. You can see this is more like a frankenstein desktop when you need an external monitor.

As long as the enclosure has vents, the gpu/psu fans will do fine. But I would have it so they are against the outside to intake air directly from the outside and also have other vents elsewhere since the strix will exhaust air inside the case.

I didn't check the card length to see if it would fit but the elite 130 fits long cards and is cheap. I don't know what kind of style you want plus there's limited choices with a long 3 fan card.