Where to install non-game programs?

Breq-Zerith

Estimable
Aug 1, 2014
Not sure if this fits under "Storage" or "Applications"...

So, I've got a 250Gb SSD drive for booting and a 1Tb HDD for everything else (games, music, pictures, drawings, etc.). But now I'm reinstalling Fusion, Unity, UDK, Cinema 4D, Max, Maya, ZBrush and a whole slew of Adobe programs - and I was wondering what drive to pick. On one hand, they say that the boot drive should only be used for the OS, as installing anything else would defeat the purpose of having a dedicated boot drive. On the other hand, maybe installing it on the SSD will offer some advantages?

What would you do and why? Maybe list the pros and cons?

Solution
For any drive 120GB or larger, the OS and most/all of your applications.
My 120 Kingston SSD has the OS and ALL applications apart from games. Currently 65.9GB used.

Win 8.1 Pro, Office 2013 Pro, Adobe Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Corel Video Studio, MS Visual Studio, etc, etc, etc.
Static files (pics/docs/video) live elsewhere.

For a 250GB or larger? All of the above, and whatever games fit.

Having only the OS on a 250GB drive is wasting ~200GB of fast SSD space.

MeteorsRaining

Estimable
Jul 27, 2014
A 250GB SSD is more properly a 'C drive', and you should put all the major games and the programs you've stated, on it, that'll really be optimal. The SSD's purpose is to give fast read/write speeds and that's imp for rendering/ VFX softwares.

I'd store only the OS on SSD only if its a 64GB one, with 120GB I'd even store some major games and programs on it. A 250GB is more than enough to accommodate all programs and games.

We all know they're faster, and that's their real advantage.

USAFRet

Illustrious
For any drive 120GB or larger, the OS and most/all of your applications.
My 120 Kingston SSD has the OS and ALL applications apart from games. Currently 65.9GB used.

Win 8.1 Pro, Office 2013 Pro, Adobe Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Corel Video Studio, MS Visual Studio, etc, etc, etc.
Static files (pics/docs/video) live elsewhere.

For a 250GB or larger? All of the above, and whatever games fit.

Having only the OS on a 250GB drive is wasting ~200GB of fast SSD space.

Solution