Which amplifier can I get for these speakers?

Max_73

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016
Best answers
I recently got hold of 5 speakers and a subwoofer from a friend who was moving house, they however unfortunately no longer had the amplifier for the speakers. The speakers are all sony SS-TS73 and I think they used to belong to a home cinema system. I am just looking for a cheap amplifier so that I can use these speakers (even just 2 of them in stereo) as speakers for my tv. I really don’t know a lot about speakers and amplifiers but after some reading I understand the impedance of the speakers and amplifier need to match. The impedance of the speakers in 3 ohms and I can only find amplifiers that support impedance from 4 ohms. Can I run these speakers off an amplifier that supports 4 ohms, if not can someone suggest a cheap amplifier that would drive these speakers?

Picture of the speakers: https://imgur.com/a/Ka7j1kE

kanewolf

Splendid
May 29, 2013
Best answers
The problem with those speakers is they are 3 ohm. Standalone amps don't support that. Driving 3 ohms with a 4 ohm minimum amp will burn out the amp. Used Sony home theater like these came from is the best answer.

Aug 27, 2008
Best answers
The cheap way to run those is to use a car amp and a PC power supply. Car amps are designed to run even lower impedance loads. Many will go down to 1 ohm. I suspect you can get away with as little as 20-50 watts.
Those speakers are meant to be used with a subwoofer but you won't have a way to use that easily. You would need a crossover to remove the high frequencies from the sub and an amp to drive it.
If your TV has a headphone jack that would be the easiest way to get audio to the amp. Your TV volume control will work in this case. If your TV doesn't have a variable audio output then you would need to get your audio from a set top box with volume control.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Audio 2
BobGratton Audio 1
R Audio 2
D Audio 3
G Audio 2
C Audio 2
S Audio 14
E Audio 1
K Audio 1
D Audio 8
Graybush Audio 2