Which Camera to choose? Need advice

Thomas Jullien

Estimable
Jun 11, 2014
Hello guys,

I'm actively looking for a new DSLR. Previously I used for the past 3 years a Panasonic Lumix GH-1. Really liked his video quality as well as the stills, even tho I felt that the shutter speed was too slow and got a lot of blurry images on low light.

What I'm looking for is a DSLR that give me beautiful stills and flexible environment but also have a strong video option. I'm really looking for something in between, but obviously an upgrade from what I currently own.

Recently, I was looking at two cameras, quite different from one another, but of quality.
The first one is the Lumix Gh-4. I'm very impress by his 4K recording. I'm sold on that, the only thing is how his stills are handle. Is the overall capacity of the stills will be better than what I currently have?

The other one is a Cannon. I have the possibility to have a price on a EOS 6D + EF 24-70 mm f/4L IS USM, which I really like for its full-frame, but doesn't know how well the 6D will handle video. Can anyone tell me?

So, if anyone can help me with my choice, either between these 2 cameras, or if you have any other suggestions, I'll be happy to look into (I'm ready to put down around 2000euros/2700$ for body+lens). Please help me to see clearly in this jungle :).
Thanks!
Thomas

Solution
If you need really strong video, then the GH4 is your best bet, its video quality beats previous favorites such as the canon 5D MK 3 (less video noise, and significantly better detail with almost no moire. Even if you do not plan to upload 4K video, when you downscale it to 1080p, you get what is effectively super sampling (which makes for extremely sharp 1080p but with no oversharp elements.

The still image quality and autofocus is also pretty good but it will not do as well in low light as many aps-c sensor DSLR's

If just decent 1080p video is good enough for you, and you need top end quality especially in low light, then your best bet is the sony A7r (pretty much D800e quality but with a lower performing autofocus system (that is...

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
If you need really strong video, then the GH4 is your best bet, its video quality beats previous favorites such as the canon 5D MK 3 (less video noise, and significantly better detail with almost no moire. Even if you do not plan to upload 4K video, when you downscale it to 1080p, you get what is effectively super sampling (which makes for extremely sharp 1080p but with no oversharp elements.

The still image quality and autofocus is also pretty good but it will not do as well in low light as many aps-c sensor DSLR's

If just decent 1080p video is good enough for you, and you need top end quality especially in low light, then your best bet is the sony A7r (pretty much D800e quality but with a lower performing autofocus system (that is still very good if you are not doing sports). (only issue is that the a7R is about $2000 for the body, and about $1000 for a decent zoom lens

With the micro 4/3 and video, it is harder to get good shallow depth of field and bokeh, so a full frame camera will make it easier to get more cinematic looks with more common lenses.

Out of the 2 cameras you listed, the canon 6D will offer better overall image quality, but the auto focus will not be as good as that in the GH4

If you do more stills than video and do not do high action, then get the 6D, if you like video and need good auto focus, then get the GH4.

Solution