Which dell video driver?

helpful55

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I am looking for an answer to this question as the dell people don’t even address my actual question, they just tell me to do what I have already done that brings up this question. I have a dell inpsiron M5110 that apparently is an older version or something as it is not intel based it has an AMD A4-3300M CPU and 6480G graphics. This laptop struggles to do much of anything cpu wise and I was told it may be the video driver. On passmark it reads about 450 when it is supposed to be 1200. I go to the dell site and put in my actual service tag # and I get three drivers listed. I had previously installed the drivers from the dell site. I see three listed on the site. The first one says for 7570m, second says for 6470/7450m, and the third says 6470/6620/6520/6480. Do I install all of these or just the last one? Thanks.

helpful55

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

So your opinion is that it has somehow went to pot? If it was giving me the numbers it should it seems lik I could do some normal things with it.

helpful55

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

I know this is no speed demon and I am used to these kind of toys spiking. Just a few browser pages open will end up with it settling down. But say a SD video stream pegs it and of course it is not smooth then. I have a somewhat similar dell M5030 that works properly and can do the same stream with no real problem. It has to work, but will play something like that smoothly. So it is related to no being able to handle this for some reason. Where exactly can I see what freq it is running at when it is maxed out using task manager or CPU-Z? On my desktop the CPU-Z core speed will run at 1400 and spike to over 4000. This dell shows both cores operating, but the core speed stays at about 800 no matter what. The desktop multiplier varies, but the dell stays at 8x. Is this telling you anything?

Edit: This is almost surely is what others are experiencing and that is the dell software throttling the CPU to minimum maybe due to a battery charging issue. I am trying to find a program to get around this and no luck so far. throttlestop gives errors, maybe no support and rightmark is not installing or some kind of problem.

Ok, it appears I got it. I popped my other dell m5030 ac adapter into it and it runs no problem up to the max 1.9M. Even a hd stream will play pretty well. It is no powehouse but it can handle this. Now I know barring power issues it will do decent tasks if I need a laptop out of the house, it's not just a useless piece of plastic and metal.