Which gaming laptop to get ASUS ROG GL502VM-DS74 or GIGABYTE P35XV6-PC3?

rkattar

Estimable
Oct 22, 2015
I am planning to buy a gaming laptop and have narrowed down to 2 choices - ASUS ROG GL502VM-DS74 and GIGABYTE P35XV6-PC3.

The Asus laptop has 1060 and Gigabyte has 1070.
Have read some minor issues with the Gigabyte model such as tinny speakers and overheating. However the cost difference isn't too much.

My budget is around $1500 - 1600 and preferring 15 inches screen for portability. I am more of a casual gamer and like playing mostly adventure/action games such as Assassins creed series, Far cry series, Witcher, Watchdogs 2, Tomb Raider, etc..

Which of the 2 laptops would someone suggest as better overall? Thanks.

Solution
If you read overheating issues with the Gigabyte laptop, then my advice is to stay away from it. At best overheating will cause the CPU and GPU to throttle down to reduce heat. That will cause performance to drop a lot. At worst it will damage the laptop to the point where you won't be able to play games. That means dishing out money for another laptop.
If you read overheating issues with the Gigabyte laptop, then my advice is to stay away from it. At best overheating will cause the CPU and GPU to throttle down to reduce heat. That will cause performance to drop a lot. At worst it will damage the laptop to the point where you won't be able to play games. That means dishing out money for another laptop.

Solution

Chugalug_

Estimable
Ditto.
Also any particular reason you need a laptop?
More often than not you won't want to lug around a massive brick that lasts two hours, and you'll find yourself gaming at home 90% of the time anyway unless you travel frequently.

rkattar

Estimable
Oct 22, 2015

I was looking for a gaming laptop primarily due to the reason I have started travelling a lot recently. I have a gaming rig back home. However I am out of home for more than a year and hence missing the gaming scene.

Read mixed reviews for and against 1060 and 1070. Hence quite confused on whether 1060 would suffice for the next 3 - 4 years or better to go for 1070 and be at peace of mind for some more while.

rkattar

Estimable
Oct 22, 2015

Thank you. I did have this option while back. However as it is 17.3" thought would park it aside due to portability constraints. Currently looking more into 15" laps. Any suggestions?

Chugalug_

Estimable
The 1060 is JUST enough to run ultra 60fps at 1080p at current, the 1070 gives a much higher level of performance for a little more.
See the open box laptop I posted, specs are equivalent to what you would get for around 2k new, only difference is that someone returned it because they decided they didn't want it. Not a refurb!

rkattar

Estimable
Oct 22, 2015

IC. Any idea on how ASUS ROG GL502VM-DS74 fares? Thought of another option - ASUS ROG GL502VS-DS71 which has 1070, but read that the battery is only 62 Wh which seems quite less. Any idea on this one?

The version with the GTX 1070 has a smaller battery likely because it needs better cooling.

If battery life is important to you, then you need to be aware that G-Sync screens require the nVidia GPU to be always active even when you are going some simple like typing a paper / report. NVidia's Optimus is not compatible with G-Sync so the Intel HD 620 graphics core will never be used.