Which headphones are better?

Holy Wars

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Oh boy, I have been posting on these forums over and over....
As of right now, i have a pair of SteelSeries Siberia v2's, and I wanted to replace them because the mic is not the greatest, the High's aren't too good, and most important, They are VERY uncomfortable for me personally. So i wanted to replace them with the Sennheiser HD 518's, But from what people told me, is that it's the frequency rates that shows how good a pair of headphones can be. But i'm not entirely sure which is better...
Also, If it's not too much trouble to ask, could someone explain how to tell if the Freq. rate is good? Do i want the last number's to be higher? Or is the first number the quality for the highs, and the last for the lows? I really don't know my stuff, all i know is that Impedance is how loud they can get.

Siberia v2's:
Frequency response: 18 - 28,000 Hz
Impedance: 32 Ohm
SPL@ 1kHz, 1 Vrms: 112 dB
Cable length: 9.8 ft. (1 + 2 = 3 m)
Jacks: 3.5 mm

HD 518's:
Transducer type: Dynamic, open
Headphone type: Circumaural
Frequency response: 14 - 26,000 Hz
Total harmonic distortion: < 0.2% (1 kHz/100 dB SPL)
Sound pressure level (SPL): 108 dB
Impedance: 50 Ohms
Cable length: 3m
Jack plug: 6.3mm
Weight: 255g

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
most adults can hear between 20 to 20,000 Hz. In general, although some as low as 14Hs in studio conditions and as high as 24,00 Hz on the high end.
Frequency range is not as important as frequency response. Realistically a perfect speaker has a flat response curve. Meaning it produces all parts of the sound range equally.
This is subjective as a lot of people like their music bottom or bass heavy.

The best option is to take your headphones with you and try them all out to see which ones sound best to you.

The low number is the bass end and the high number is the treble end.

For music listening the HD 518 are much better. as they provide an almost flat response. You can then use an EQ to adjust the tonal balance to your preference.