Which is better?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

grimlockPH

Estimable
May 20, 2014
Greetings. I am looking for a new laptop under 800USD. And I've got these 2, an Asus X450LD with a 1.6 GHz i5-4200u, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, and NVIDIA GT 820m, the other one is a cheaper Lenovo G410 with a 2.5 GHz i5-4200m, same memory & HDD, but using an Intel HD 4600. Now, I have carefully read reviews and comparisons from CPUboss and GPUboss about these processors and the GT 820m, and I really like the features (though I can't really understand it), they're not the very good ones, but I think they're enough for non-gaming users. Also, I have researched more about integrated graphics by Intel and found out that they are hated by most gamers and other users. The opportunity of having an nvidia gt 820m is awesome for me, but it will kill my budget for buying an additional 4GB RAM upgrade. If I am to buy the 560USD lenovoG410, I will have a chance upgrading it to 8GB of RAM, but will take away my GT820m. I am really confused. If someone can help me choose between these two then I would be really grateful. By the way, the laptop will be daily used, at home and school, that includes my activities in Autocad (2D only), adobe photoshop, google sketchup, cyberlink powerdirector (video editing, slight & in rare occasions), office, and web browsing. I will not use these applications all at once. I am not a gamer. Oh, and I have difficulties typing correctly using English. Im from PH. Im expecting a response! Thank you very much.

Solution
The CPU doesn't make much of a difference as the only difference is the U and M suffix. You'll probably be better of with the i5-4200U and the GT 820M. The truth is, the 820M is just a much better GPU, and you won't need to add another 4 GBs of ram since you're not a gamer anyway (unless you open 40 tabs of google chrome and run other applications at the same time) and the 820M is a dedicated mobile GPU. If you're really tight on budget, you can go with the other one and just NOT add RAM.

hatsamshuz

Estimable
May 18, 2014
Yeah, sure. The price of the laptop itself will be cheaper, but the shipping is what you have to worry about. You would also have to know if they actually ship to the PH. And then you have customs, sometimes they don't even release stuff. If you want, you can ask a relative of yours from somewhere else to buy you the laptop, send it through a carrier, and pay it afterwards. Might or might not be cheaper.

grimlockPH

Estimable
May 20, 2014

Countries far from PH definitely don't ship products to it right? Maybe I should try looking in Singapore or somewhere near. My father is on Qatar, but I cant find good laptops online, manufaturers have their UAE websites but do not have enough informations pertaining to price and order procedures