Which is the better laptop for professional video editing?

AlisterM

Commendable
May 26, 2016
Hi there,

I'll be off to Uni to study film production soon enough and I don't want to always rely on my PC, so I want a really really good laptop that can get as close as possible to matching performance.

First as an instinct looked at the highest spec Macbook Pro (I could see myself affording):
2.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
Intel Iris Pro Graphics + AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB GDDR5 memory

But this comes in at a hefty sum of £1,699.20, which will take me a long time to save for!

So i've been looking at two other windows machines who seem to match or have better specs!

ASUS ROG: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017YTH40S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2OP17KTC1NXCL&coliid=I1PLVUUGKVLNAA&psc=1

ASUS ZENBOOK PRO: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CQRNBJG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2OP17KTC1NXCL&coliid=IQAASJ8KD88V8&psc=1

Just by glance, the Zenbook does have a 4K display which is of course a great plus as I may come across 4K video in my time and seeing it on a more re-presentable screen would be helpful, especially as I don't have a 4K monitor. However it does come with the con of the GTX 960M.

The ROG comes with the GTX 970M which means more graphical power! Especially with the 3GB. It also has a 1TB HDD which means lots of space. Since I won't particularly be using the storage for much other than the applications and the videos I will be working on, using an external hard-drive to store all files i'm not using, could be a con, especially because its a HDD and not an SSD.

The Zenbook on the otherhand has a 520GB SSD, which in the terms of video editing could be much more handy than a HDD?

The pricing of the two windows machines are basically exactly the same so there no problems about that, just comparing it to the high end Macbook Pro and the length of time it would take to save for it compared to those two is a real juggle of consideration.

Personally i'm muddled in weighing up the pros and cons, Zenbook has a less powerful graphics card, yet its 4k and has an SSD, but not as much storage... help ... please?

AlisterM

Commendable
May 26, 2016

£90.00 UK delivery? No thanks!