Which laptop to buy for dual monitor support?

ankyuk

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017
Hello everyone,

As I work on quite a few Excel sheets with quite fine-scale data, I am planning to buy a bigger monitor to connect to my laptop (through an HDMI cable). However, I am not sure if I should be using my existing laptop for it, as it was quite a basic laptop and I don't know if it'd be a good idea to let it also do this extra hard work.
Just for info, these are some the specs of my current laptop:

Lenovo G50-70 model
Windows 7 OS
Intel® HD Graphics 4400
Intel® Core™ i3-4010U Processor
3M Cache, 1.70 GHz
2 GB RAM

I would like to buy another laptop (either coming with pre-loaded Windows or not, both ok) which may be more suitable for a dual monitor support (that is, laptop's own monitor plus an external monitor). Since I have been using Lenovo for many years now (including my earlier computer), I trust Lenovo, so if you could suggest a Lenovo product, that'd be good. I am looking at something mid-range, not very expensive. Other brands are also welcome, if you think they are also good.

Also, do you think I could use my existing laptop itself instead, and there's no need to splurge the money? I use my laptop for working on those Excel sheets plus for listening to music and watching films plus YouTube, etc. I don't play games.

Thanks in advance! Please let me know if you require more information.

jaguarskx

Champion
Your current laptop should be fine.

If you work with very large spreadsheets that does a lot of calculations and it takes quite a bit of time to recalculate results, then at that point buy a new laptop with a more powerful CPU. Preferably laptop with a quad core Intel CPU if it takes a really long time to recalculate.

ankyuk

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

Thanks! No, I don't work with too large spreadsheets involving a lot of calculations. In fact, nothing very much processing intensive: I was just wondering if the graphics card in my existing laptop can handle comfortably an extra monitor. So in that case, I guess, I don't need another laptop? That would be a relief financially!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
harhar1230 Laptop General Discussion 1
Z Laptop General Discussion 5
S Laptop General Discussion 1
M Laptop General Discussion 3
LordElites Laptop General Discussion 2
P Laptop General Discussion 1
Toshiro13 Laptop General Discussion 1
oambyt Laptop General Discussion 4
R Laptop General Discussion 2
P Laptop General Discussion 2
S Laptop General Discussion 1