Which laptop to buy? (See below)

stratoFortress

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014
Hello guys!

Christmas is coming and I need a new notebook for university. I live in Hungary, so the available models and price may (and will) differ from what you recommend, but that's ok.

I only know what to put into a gaming rig/desktop PC, but know almost nothing about mobile devices - I mean which brand has the best price/value/perf. ratio, reliability, etc.

What I'm looking for:
- At least dual core (i3/i5 or any AMD equivalent)
- 6+ GB RAM
- 500GB HDD is just completely fine - if possible -> SSD
- Long battery life
- Light(ish)
- 15.6" is ok, but what can I find below? (e.g. 13" - or is it too small?)
- GOOD COOLING

Sorry, I just can't write a short thread, regardless how hard I try :D

If you'd like to know anything else, please let me know in the comments!

Your help is appreciated! Have a nice day! :)

Solution
Are you sure it's a ThinkPad? It sounds more like an Ideapad 510, like this one:
http://shop.lenovo.com/hu/hu/laptops/ideapad/500-series/510-15-inch/

5 hours of battery life and 2.2kg. And is it new or used/refurbished? The reason I ask is that the Acer seems ridiculously underpowered - if they are both new and cost the same.

Let me put it this way: If you can get a dual-core Kaby Lake i5 with 4GBs of GTX 940 VRAM in a 15.6" frame for the same price as a dual-core Broadwell i5 with an integrated HD 5500 in a 13.3" frame, then I strongly recommend that you get the Lenovo.

My own Lenovo Y50 is not that different from the Ideapad 510 and my experience is that overheating is going to be an issue with the Lenovo, mainly because it uses a...

stratoFortress

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014

As long as it plays videos (let's say 1080p) without any problems, it'd be just fine. I don't want to play on it to be honest (my current laptop didn't thank me those gaming sessions...)

stratoFortress

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
I would look up battery life estimates for the Lenovo; if that is good enough for your liking, that would be my choice. I'd much rather have a light 15" than a 13", but that's just me.

My work computer is similar to your Acer there (HP, i7-5600u) and I love it. Very capable of anything I throw at it, runs cool, and incredibly long battery life. The newer gen architecture on the Lenovo should be even better.

Are you sure it's a ThinkPad? It sounds more like an Ideapad 510, like this one:
http://shop.lenovo.com/hu/hu/laptops/ideapad/500-series/510-15-inch/

5 hours of battery life and 2.2kg. And is it new or used/refurbished? The reason I ask is that the Acer seems ridiculously underpowered - if they are both new and cost the same.

Let me put it this way: If you can get a dual-core Kaby Lake i5 with 4GBs of GTX 940 VRAM in a 15.6" frame for the same price as a dual-core Broadwell i5 with an integrated HD 5500 in a 13.3" frame, then I strongly recommend that you get the Lenovo.

My own Lenovo Y50 is not that different from the Ideapad 510 and my experience is that overheating is going to be an issue with the Lenovo, mainly because it uses a more powerful graphics engine. It won't burn you, but you will feel the heat from the underside. Reliability is above average for this segment.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Solution

stratoFortress

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014

Thank you for the fast response! Today I tried the Lenovo out and it looked, felt cool :D As you've said, my only concerns are battery life (it has a 39Wh 2-cell battery :S) and cooling.....

But since both models go for the same price (the Travelmate is even a bit more expensive) I'd chose the Lenovo, but don't want to suck with the battery, just like with my current laptop.

stratoFortress

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014

You were right, again, sir!

It would be a brand new product of course.

It is indeed an Ideapad 510 and not a Thinkpad 500 :D

I checked a couple sites, made some rough calculations, but couldn't really find any usable info about battery life. But what you've posted seems about right at normal use - and I guess it will not get hot during this time, only when playing.

Thank you very-very much!!!

Have a nice day! :)

Pooja_7

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
Even I am considering to buy this laptop but the battery backup is bothering me a lot, I read on some forum that it lasted for merely 1 hr 51 min with some video streaming and surfing :/ at max it will last for 2.5 hrs. I don't think it will last more than that. Of course depends on what work you intend to do. I was going to buy it for rendering and similar works so kind of hesitating to get this one. Which one did you end up buying?

stratoFortress

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014
Hello!

Thanks for your help!
In the end I chose the HP 15 ay108nh packing an i5 7200U, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, Radeon M340 4GB DDR3 and a 15.6" display at 1080p. The battery is removable, lasts waaaaaay more, than 3 hours during intensive web surfing and having multiple tabs open on Google Chrome (!!!) while it's at Balanced and 25% brightness on the screen, oh and Power Saving is turned off :)

Couldn't be happier! I got 3 years of warranty instead of 2 years which would have come with the Lenovo, much better building quality and the fan is almost inaudible.

If you need anything (tests, info, etc) let me know ;)

Cheers,
strato