Which notebook for travel/school/gaming with Linux(ArchLinux) for about 1100-1400$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matous Mojzis

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
Hello, I am looking for a new notebook, because my Samsung 535-u3c is overheating and throttling.
My needs are:
1) lightweight
2) good battery life
3) gaming
4) good for travel
5) good display
6) good for linux

I have found seven notebooks:
1)Acer Aspire V5-573G(cheapest, good display, very good GPU, heavy, maybe overheating)
2)Apple MacBook Pro ME864(most expansive, overall very good, bad GPU)
3)Samsung 740U3E(pricier, very good display, bad GPU, old CPU)
4)Acer Aspire S3-391(overall good, corning gorilla glass)
5)Acer Aspire V7-482PG(cheap,overall good, very good GPU, heavier, two cooling blocks)
6)Lenovo IdeaPad U430(cheap)
7)Asus UX302LG(most lightweight, good battery life)

If you have better solution, then tell me it, thanks!

Better than replacing your notebook (unless you're simply looking for an excuse to replace it) would be opening it up and cleaning it out thoroughly - guides abound around the web for disassembly and cleaning of most laptop models. I might also suggest a fresh application of thermal compound since I'm assuming the laptop is ~2yrs old - should bring you back to "like new" condition

Although getting into the laptop does not (in and of itself) void the warranty, you may want to approach Samsung support about possible RMA for overheating. There may be a "known issue" they have already addressed or they may advise on how it can be taken care of (hopefully for a reasonable cost, if any)
Also, in some cases, the use of a cooling pad can help quite a bit
Also a little poking around and I found this (might or might not fit) "2. The overheating and battery issue exists originally because of bad default kernel options.
Heating can be fixed by enabling active state power management and battery issue can be solved by the specific i915 options from http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...15_power&num=1 " found here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1925366&page=2 (yes I realize it's an Ubuntu Forum)

Matous Mojzis

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
Yes, it doesnt void the warranty, but repasting thermal paste does. I have thermal paste and I know, if I repaste it I will void the warranty. I am using windows 8.1 right now on this laptop, because there is some kind of bugged EFI, which doesnt enable me to install GRUB. Its another excuse why I want a new lappy. I found Asus UX32LN and it looks awesome - both specs and design are awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.