Solved! Which of these two laptops should I upgrade?

Jun 23, 2020
I’ve used an HP 15-ay065nr for a few years. About 1 ½ years ago I bought a Lenovo Yoga 730-131KB. The Lenovo was my favorite PC/laptop I’ve ever used…at first. Like many others, I’ve had problems with the screen being unusable due to a hardware issue where a particular wire gets caught under another piece. I want to update/fix one or the other but would love some advice on which option would be the most logical and hopefully provide me with the best laptop. There are pros and cons to both of the laptops. My budget is fairly limited, but I can certainly do upgrades on the basics. I use a laptop for working from home (mainly using Excel and Word but also teleconferencing and screen sharing) and for personal tasks (Word, internet browsing, streaming movies). If it were you, which would you choose to upgrade to be your laptop? I appreciate any assistance you can give me. Thanks!

HP
5th gen Intel Core i3-5005U – 6 GB DDR3L SDRAM (2 DIMM) – 1TB 5400RPM Serial ATA hard drive – battery life listed up to 6.25 hours, although I get 4 hours – 15.6” HD SVA BrightView WLED-backlit (1366x768) – Intel HD Graphics 5500 with 3157 MB total graphics memory – 4.73 lbs.
~~Cons:
~Colors on the display aren’t great and tend to be muted
~HDD – if I use this one, I definitely would upgrade to an SSD
~Short battery life, although most of the time I can have it plugged in when working
~Heavy
~~Pros:
~I don’t want to throw this one off a cliff like I do the Lenovo
~1 TB storage
~Optical drive (although I’ll simply buy an external one if I need it for the Lenovo)

Lenovo
8th gen Intel Core i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz – 8GB RAM 2400 MHz DDR4 SDRAM – 256 SSD – battery life listed up to 10.5 hours, although I get 6-7 – 13.3” FHD (1920x1080) IPS, anti-glare, touchscreen – Intel UHD Graphics 620 3840x2160@30Hz – 2.47 lbs.
~~Cons:
~Have to periodically (anywhere from a few hours to a couple weeks) open the PC and move the caught wire so that the screen is usable instead of having black wavy lines obscure the screen – this is a known hardware issue reported by many others
~Recently I’ve had trouble connecting to the internet unless I use my phone as a hotspot and leave it within 6-8” of the laptop
~It folds over to a tablet mode, but this always triggers the black screen, so I can’t use this feature at all
~The charging cord barely works, so I’d have to replace this also (I’m currently assuming it’s an issue with the cord rather than the PC - I have to wiggle it around to get it into a position to charge and have to be careful not to bump it out of that position even a little)
~~Pros:
~I like the smaller size and lighter weight
~Great screen resolution and colors
~SSD and quiet
~I had to save for months to buy this and am loathe to let it go

Solution
The Lenovo is vastly more powerful. The HP is bare bones spec for 5 years ago. I would check around online if there is some sort of fix people have found if it's such a common issue
Jun 22, 2020
The Lenovo is vastly more powerful. The HP is bare bones spec for 5 years ago. I would check around online if there is some sort of fix people have found if it's such a common issue

Reactions: Aragorn Ann
Solution