Which older DSLR for backpacking trip with a limited budget?

christiandransfield

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm going travelling for around 6 weeks in May, and would like to take a DSLR with me. Around 2006, I had a Canon 350D, which I was pretty impressed with at the time (with supplied lens kit).

I have a limited budget, and want to go down the route of buying an older DSLR, instead of a new 'all bells and whistles' new one, so that I don't mind if it's stolen, but is also good enough quality to warrant taking instead of a compact camera. My budget is as cheap as possible, without sacrificing too much quality of picture.

Does anyone have any particular recommendations?

bjornl

Estimable
Mar 16, 2016

Very different cameras.
The d300 is an older professional camera. The Pentax k-50 is 4 years newer but a consumer grade camera. The difference in "class" impacts controls, layout and build quality. The newer sensor in the k-50 should result in lower noise images in low light.

Both cameras are weather sealed if you also get a weather sealed lens.

bjornl

Estimable
Mar 16, 2016

Very different cameras.
The d300 is an older professional camera. The Pentax k-50 is 4 years newer but a consumer grade camera. The difference in "class" impacts controls, layout and build quality. The newer sensor in the k-50 should result in lower noise images in low light.

Both cameras are weather sealed if you also get a weather sealed lens.

ASK THE COMMUNITY