Which one runs cooler : AMD A8 or Core i5 ?

ungovernable

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Buying a new laptop, but i can't chose between an AMD A8 APU or a Core i5

I know that AMD is known for running hotter than intel, but the APU series are way cooler than other AMD CPUs. I have a A8 Desktop HTPC and i am very satisfacted with the temperatures. But i don't know about laptops...

So between a Core i5 laptop or an intel Core i5, which one will run cooler ?

Both would be Acer Aspire

Thanks !

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

The current generation and last generation of Core i-somethings for the laptop were always hot running (CPU temperatures wise). The best I have read (from Anandtech) that a laptop was able to keep its CPU at was about 75 degrees celsius. For reference, most laptops like the Dell XPS, Apple (non-retina) Macbook Pros, have the Core i5/i7 CPU running at 90+ degrees celsius max load. This is by design, because Intel's TDPs are average power dissipations, so under heavy load, the heatsink/fan assembly can only cope partially. But all is well, because Intel CPUs can handle very high temperatures without problems whatsoever.

AMD on the other hand, typically specifies its TDP by max dissipation (I THINK this applies also to their mobile CPUs), so for the same TDP, same heatsink/fan, AMDs MIGHT run cooler.

slvjpn

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
"X it's known for running hotter" depends by the generation of the chip. Mostly depends on the cooler the manufacturer put on it (laptop wise). AMD is dissipating lower for longer time while most INTEL finish a task faster dissipating a lot but for short time.
If you are only comparing the cpus by their temperature you should search reviews of notebooks with A8 and i5 so you can decide.

Novuake

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
THe choice depends on what you require for the laptop. For light gaming and a longer battery life rather get the AMD and for brute and heavier gaming(if it has discrete graphics, they also would run hotter if this is the case, battery life would be much much MUCH shorter if it has discreet graphics) get the intel.

What will you be using this laptop for?

ungovernable

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Laptop will be used for gaming (MW3, Dead Island, L4D2) and work (coding, webdesign, photoshop, browsing web). Also for watching movies when i'm at my girlfriend's house.

Currently two laptops catched my attention :
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215520
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215318CVF

Sometimes i can use the laptop many hours continuously so i'm concerned about overheating. I have a laptop cooling pad but i would still prefer to buy the cooler laptop.

Novuake

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Technically the Intel I5 based laptop is much better, It will run hot though, maybe very hot. I am not sure as to what the internal measure of cooling is but yeah, the intel one generates more heat.

The intel one is a better deal, better price for performance.
While the AMD will once again have much better battery life. If you need to work on it without it on a power source, get the AMD, if you are regularly able to charge. Definitely get the Intel. I like it much more.

Also see the Intel is 17inch while the AMD is 15.6inch(easier to work and better to watch movies on a larger screen but will be abit heavier). Should be considered.

ungovernable

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Well if my researches are right, the intel laptop would have a weaker CPU but a stronger GPU. It's also a dual-core instead of a quad-core. However, i really like 17inches instead of 15inches but there's an huge price difference.

According to cpubenchmark.net, there is a noticable difference between Core i5 and A8 APU. The A8 is better

Core i5 is ranked #266 while A8 is #202 (lower is better)

ungovernable

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
I think it's better to tell us your budget and needs including things like weight, battery, fullhd or regular 768p one (which are also of a lesser quality)
budget : $550 for a 15.6" or $700 for a 17"
color : black
battery : 5 hours
GPU : at least Radeon 7640G

I don't care about anything else

and no - the intel cpus are currently faster, even for lower core clock (to some extent ofcourse) and the gpus are slower but it really depends which are you comparing. The slowest AMDs integrated GPU is slower than the HD4000, for example. probably.
Well the benchmarks says that i5-2450M is slower than A8-4500M and the Core i5 comes with a better Radeon GPU (7670M) than the A8 (7640G)

Novuake

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

Say what? The INTEL is better, it is a quadcore, the AMD has better GPU.

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
The i5 model you linked to on Newegg seems better for your gaming needs. L4D2 can be CPU taxing (not quite as much as Starcraft 2), but the discrete 7670m is really nice. The screen resolution isn't sky high, so that GPU would handle L4D2 and MW3.

If it doesn't have to be Acer, perhaps you can consider a lower end Sager ?

ungovernable

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
which benchmarks?
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php (Passmark CPU Mark)

Check ratings of I5-2400M against A8-4500M. The A8 gets better results. That's why i'm asking.

Can't decide between this one
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=69113&promoid=1034
Core i5 2450M (Dual-Core @ 2.50GHz) + Radeon 7670M

and this one:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214967CVF
A8-4500M (Quad-Core @ 1.90GHz) + Super Multi AMD Radeon HD 7610M - Discrete AMD Radeon HD 7640G - Integrated

Is it better to get dual graphics of lower series or just one Radeon 7670M ?

Wisecracker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
in this case, the 7670M is a better solution. Also remember that the dual graphics solutions (including SLI/CFx) have problems and are depend on drivers too. Many times you don't get really significant performance boost

Well, passmark is just a synthetic benchmark and the score you see is probably when utilizing the whole four cores or maybe the GPU too (which is considerably faster in the A8 compared to the HD3000).

If you check performance in games or core vs core, like in SuperPi (uses one core), you'll see that the Intels are just faster.

Check here:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html

I use AMD's cpu and it's not like I like Intel (I don't), but this is the truth in that case

Yeah.

SuperPi is relative to computers in 2012.

(sarcasm)