Not open for further replies.

ejis__

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016
Core 2 Duo E8600 (3.33Mhz dual-core)
GT 730 (GDDR5 2GB)
8GB DDR2 800 RAM
500GB WD HDD(black equivalent)
300w or 750w Corsair TX(currently the 300w seems to be working)
Current Case is a mid-tower, but I will eventually get a Silverstone ML03B
( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163174 )

Long version of needs list:
-The HTPC will be used for gaming using Steam games. So it needs to be an OS that can run either Windows or Linux games.
-The games will be played using a gamepad.
edit [strike]-I haven't figured out yet how I'm going to navigate the interface yet, but I won't be using a mouse+keyboard. (advice like what kind of remote to get will be helpful as well)[/strike]
I will be using a Rii I8 Mini.
( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B9996LA?colid=QL5IDZASWMXE&coliid=I1DC4I2TEDVU9Y&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl )
-The HTPC will also be used to stream netflix as well as media from another computer on the home network.
-Connected to a TV by HDMI.
-Preferably only 1 remote or none because I'll also be using a Logitech F710 gaming controller.
-If not Linux or Windows compatible, then at least be able to use NVidia Streaming or Steam Streaming.
-An example I can give of a good single product that can do what I'd like is NVidia Shield. Although being able to natively play Windows or Linux games without having to stream them would be better.

Short version of needs list:
-Netflix
-Network Streaming(media)
-Linux or Windows gaming compatible.
[strike]-No Mouse+Keyboard[/strike] edit

The main question is: What operating system/software/remote combination would work well for this kind of setup?

Solution
It's very hard to control Netflix on a PC without a keyboard mouse. It's not made for a remote and any browser based is out of the question so that eliminates Linux. You have to use the windows Netflix app for Windows 8.1 or 10 only and then hacked software to use a remote for it and it's not perfect and then Netflix updates the app and the software doesn't work till it gets updated and then its cat and mouse.

If Netflix is that big and no keyboard/mouse is allowed then get a roku and call it a day.
It's very hard to control Netflix on a PC without a keyboard mouse. It's not made for a remote and any browser based is out of the question so that eliminates Linux. You have to use the windows Netflix app for Windows 8.1 or 10 only and then hacked software to use a remote for it and it's not perfect and then Netflix updates the app and the software doesn't work till it gets updated and then its cat and mouse.

If Netflix is that big and no keyboard/mouse is allowed then get a roku and call it a day.

Solution

pichadpi

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
If you're just after the OS that can do anything/everything and feels best suited for an htpc, I might recommend win 8.1. It's not really a popular or well-liked OS in general, but having been designed for a touchscreen/tablet, it performs extremely well on a TV using the start screen as a media and app launcher once setup. You can get additional programs like OblyTile and Decor8 to make it a much more attractive and useful interface.

As getochkn mentioned some functionality, such as using Netflix, will be extremely cumbersome without a keyboard and mouse. In my experience, it's crippling enough that I keep a wireless keyboard with mouse pad bound to the htpc in my living room, but hidden on a shelf. You could find a wireless usb/bluetooth handheld keyboard pretty easily these days, but at least for the particular models I've used, they were more troublesome in user friendliness than they were worth. I use an Adesso IR remote that has been an outstanding controller for Win8, Spotify, Kodi, VLC, etc. It has a method to control the cursor on the screen that works fine too when necessary, but does feel a bit clunky.

With the gamepad, you may be able to get by without a remote, but the strongest recommendation I'd make would be run win8 and keep a wireless keyboard with built in mousepad out of sight, yet accessible for the situations when a keyboard just can't be beat.

edit: great suggestion for remote control of Netflix, getochkn. I hadn't been aware of that, but it looks like it'll polish up the setup I have as well. Thanks!

http://sticky-ux.com/apps/NetflixRemoteController/

That is neat software that will let you control the Windows 8.1/10 Windows Store Netflix App with a remote. Once setup, it's not bad for the most part. I run Kodi and have it setup that I can launch from within Kodi with a shortcut, then it starts, use my remote, exit, back to Kodi. Works most of the time.

pichadpi

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

Which Android Box are you considering? Will you be doing any review of your experience with it? I've recently been very close to ordering one myself, but the sheer number of choices all with mixed reviews has given me some reservation.

Sorry to derail - I won't make it a conversation, just curious...

edit: I know the feeling. lol good luck in your search.

I don't know, there is so many of them to be honest. I look and it's like $30 for one, then it's $4 more for one with 4K, then $3 more on top of that for one that has Android 5.1 and $6 for gigabit network and then it's damnit, I'm at $60 for the $30 box. lol.

ejis__

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016
I'm going to be using a Rii I8 Mini. It's a remote that has mini keyboard and trackpad.

Half of the requirements aren't met by a roku.

Status
Not open for further replies.