Which OS Do You Use?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What is your current operating system?

• Windows 7 (Enterprise, Ultimate, Pro, etc...)

Votes: 47 45.6%
  • Windows Vista

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Windows XP

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Linux (Ubuntu, Free BSD, etc...)

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • MAC OS X

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Ancient Version of Windows

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

jmsellars1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Yeah Windows 7 is great, i did get a bit pissed off that it didn't play many old games so i went back to XP but i found myself coming back to 7 again. The thing that impresses me most is that the function that searches for drivers automatically actually works. Even worked on a PC not connected to the internet with no cd in the drive, that confused me a bit lol.

P.S. I use Windows 7 Ultimate on my main rig and Windows 7 Starter on my netbook, also thinking of giving Linux a try.

I'm not a fan of W7 Starter. It is too limited if you ask me. Obviously netbooks do not have the power of a standard PC or laptop, but there should be more to the Starter version. Then again, with the meteoric rise of tablets over the past year or so, who knows how long netbooks have left as a viable option for most.

Herr_Koos

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Dual boot of Win 7 Pro 64bit and Xp Pro 32bit for me. I've had this setup since I got my grubby paws on the first beta of 7 about two years ago. Since then, my usage time on XP has steadily declined with every new version of 7 I installed (Beta->RC->Release). I haven't booted XP up in months, and will get rid of it permanently with my next upgrade.

I'm curious to see if MS can somehow integrate the XP parameters into W8 to forgo the use of XP Mode. If they can do that and most older programs designed for XP actually work on W8, XP will officially be dead.

Herr_Koos

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I've had little to no compatibility problems. Maybe it's because of the limited set of applications I use, but I've got pretty much all my 90's era stuff working in 7.

It seems to me that the one segment who has issues with W7 and compatibility are businesses and to a degree, some ancient tech software. What I mean by "tech software, " for example is something called SCADA. SCADA is used by many cities across the country to control water and sewer systems. We just implemented a SCADA system in the city where I work and it runs on XP and nothing else. It's kind of sad to see a brand new Core i7 laptop (one of the 3 PC's used) running XP. But I guess that is what has to be done if the manufacturer (Siemens, I believe) hasn't updated their program in such a long time.

AntiZig

Distinguished
There's plenty of xp users out there, you just won't be as likely to find them wondering these forums to stumble upon this poll.

majority of enthusiasts that frequent these forums have upgraded to win7, which is what you're seeing in you poll.

at the same time, many people would stick with XP if they could, but MS cutting support on 2014 isn't very nice outlook.

Indeed. Most who cruise the forums on a regular basis are tech savvy and like the newest stuff out there. There are a few steadfast XP enthusiasts though. I wish MS would have cut off support sooner, as it is time for the world to move on to something more current.

verbalizer

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
is it just me or do you think that it's too soon for MS to be talking windows 8,
especially for desktop systems and such.?
maybe rename it to something more suitable for all the mobile devices they are aiming for,
I don't know.

I guess it is all a matter of personal choice. I like newer-"better" things myself, but for those who prefer practicality, XP is still the answer in some cases.

I concur Malmental, it is a bit early for W8. Apparently, MS thinks we all needs an OS with the looks of the WP7 OS. I'm not too crazy about what I've seen thus far, but if MS does a public beta program again, I'll definitely give it a try/chance.

hell_storm2004

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
It has done a little! But Win8 is on its way. I don't quite understand the quick release of new OS's. Vista/7/8 are almost what you can say back to back! :??: