Solved! Which SSD for my Acer Nitro 5 Ryzen 5 Laptop (Nitro AN515-42)?

coldhart

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I have Acer Nitro 5 Ryzen 5 Laptop (Nitro AN515-42). It only Comes with HDD 1TB.

1.is it possible to add 1TB SSD on Laptop Extra ( Without making warranty void )?
2.What is the maximum capacity of SSD my Laptop Can support?
3.Is it possible to make that SSD Primary (Bootable) to install windows 10 Enterprise or Education?
4.is "Crucial MX500 2.5 1TB SATA III 3D NAND SSD CT1000MX500SSD1" is compatible with my Laptop?
5.Does my laptop Support nvme SSD as bootable drive?
6.is it possible to upgrade internal HDD to 2 or 4 TB Seagate Laptop HDD or will it void my laptops Warranty?
7.is it possible to use my laptop to render Maya Scenes?

Solution
1. Sure. Do a Youtube search for something like "clone hard drive to SSD".
7. The RX 560X should be fine for Maya, but it is not a workstation GPU either.

It is a good idea to have two sticks of RAM which allows the RAM to run at full speed rather than half speed with only 1 stick of RAM. That allows to a bit better performance overall.
MERGED QUESTION
Question from coldhart : "Which SSD for my Acer Nitro 5 Ryzen 5 Laptop (Nitro AN515-42)?"

Supports a Sata m2 drive as far as I see.

coldhart

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Thanks friend for reply
which m2 drive should i buy?
Is it possible to make that SSD Primary (Bootable) to install windows 10 Enterprise or Education?
is it possible to upgrade internal HDD to 2 or 4 TB Seagate Laptop HDD or will it void my laptops Warranty?
is it possible to use my laptop to render Maya Scenes?

sir_k

Great
Sep 17, 2018
1.) I'm not sure what you mean... if you need an additional drive, just get an external drive; you can replace the HDD with an SSD, but it would probably void the warranty.
2.) I don't think there is a maximum; the drive just needs to have the appropriate connection.
3.) Yes, you can install Windows on a SSD (I don't know which specific drive you're referring to).
4.) Here is a list of guaranteed compatible SSD's from Crucial, and yes, that one will work.
5.) No, I think your's only supports SATA drives.
6.) Yes, it is possible, and yes, it will probably void your warranty; you should just check your warranty, or contact Acer.
7.) Sorry, I have no clue...

1. I do not know what you mean by "Laptop Extra".
2. The laptop allows you to install a m.2 SATA SSD and a 2.5" SATA SSD.. The current maximum capacity for m.2 SSDs is 2TB and the maximum capacity for 2.5" SSD is 4TB.
3. Yes, the m.2 SATA SSD can be made to be the primary drive. When installing Windows simply remove the 2.5" SSD / hard drive.
4. Yes.
5. The Acer Nitro 5 does not support m.2 PCIe NVMe SSDs..
6. You should be able to upgrade without voiding your warranty. Be aware that 4TB hard drives are 15mm thick which is too thick for the laptop. It only supports 7mm and 9.5mm hard drives which means the capacity is limited to 2TB. However, a 2.5" 4TB SSD (sells for $800+ USD) will fit.
7. You should be able to use Maya. However, the GTX 1050 is not a workstation graphics card, it is a gaming graphics card so the results may not be as good.

coldhart

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009

1.Both SSD & HDD Simultaneously.
7.My laptop has AMD Radeon RX 560X (4GB GDDR5)

im thinking about adding ram which ram should i go?

after adding Ram, HDD & SSD can i update BIOs of laptop or it won't work since hardware is changed

1. Sure. Do a Youtube search for something like "clone hard drive to SSD".
7. The RX 560X should be fine for Maya, but it is not a workstation GPU either.

It is a good idea to have two sticks of RAM which allows the RAM to run at full speed rather than half speed with only 1 stick of RAM. That allows to a bit better performance overall.

Solution