Which Thinkpad to look for? T vs W

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gjt86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I am considering pulling the trigger on a thinkpad, but have never owned one before. Currently, I am looking for something no more than 500 to get the job done (considering the laptop I currently use weighs 7 lbs and has 2gb of ram on a dual core).
My question is though, for photoshop, web development and vmware - which series would be the best bang for buck here?
I've looked over the w520, t410/420 and t520 series, but am starting to get lost. Is a newer i5 better than an older i7 (2720)? Any advice what to do or look for here?
If needed, I can post a few of the ones Ive been looking at if that is of any additional help.

JQB45

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
That T-520 looks like a good choice to me it has everything we discussed. Quad Core CPU, 1080p resolution, 8GB RAM, decent size hard drive, Win 7 professional is a plus, discrete graphics albeit not meant for gaming. The price is excellent. If I were currently in the market I would get it.

The only thing not listed is the weight of the unit. I suspect it will be rather heavy though for a laptop.

The W models should have a higher end video card and I think also have a higher max RAM capacity. Maybe USB3 also on the W but not on that T520. Rest is pretty much identical. Just make sure it's the quad core i7 in there and not the dual core i7 which is common in laptops.

gjt86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Thanks for responding again. I only fly a few times a year, but I'm trying to find something somewhat mobile/portable to get me away from my desk when plausible as well. Outside of that, it may be something I'll take to class. As of current though, I have gotten through college just fine without a laptop (just an added fluff at this point, I guess).

I won't really be docking anything - and I don't use premiere as much as I'd like to. So rendering on-the-fly is somewhat impractical. Photoshop for web design / development is about as far as it goes outside of the occasional premiere use. My wife does do some work in After Effects though, so it would be nice to be able to give her an alternative as opposed to using my desktop - or vice versa.

My desktop workstation is pretty much a gaming rig, but I'm not what you'd probably consider a gamer. BF4 and GTAV are the extent of the most recent games I have played and that was months ago.

My main concern is just having something that will last a few years (hopefully), has a decent/solid build quality, and can multitask well on-the-go. Things like 1-2 linux vm's, visual studio, and photoshop are daily activities for me. This all happens at once on my desktop, but having all of these open with no throttling would probably just be fluff or an added bonus (would be nice though).

I like the idea of the w520, but they seem a bit aged and not too practical to travel with. Again, outside of traveling would be the occasional lugging it around to class, trips. The size/weight is fine it seems and I really like the build, but the AC adapter seems much. Normally, this is fine, but if traveling, it seems a bit much for light/moderate lap use. Of course, when I'm not traveling, this box will pretty much on a desk (not docked and I don't use CAD. Adobe CS6 only). I really like the w550s, but it is a bit out of range right now - and possibly overkill for someone who isn't doing cad work/3d modeling.

My current laptop is a mere 2gb asus r503u that I can't do much with. It bogs down just opening word, but its semi-tolerable.

y50 w/ 4700 hq, 16gb, and a ded graphics card seems really appealing for the price. Durability is the only thing that concerns me (and not being able to replace much). http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Gami...-W8-HP-1656-/281726065883?hash=item41982e9cdb

a w520 similar to the specs I have been eyeballing (I'm looking for at least 16gb - or at least upgrading to it): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...B-/181816208767?ssPageName=ADME:L:pMR:US:1123 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/LENOVO-Y50-...touchscreen-/261877780395?hash=item3cf921cfab

t450s (pushing budget again, but if its worth it - i may consider it): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-T450...Win-8-1-Pro-/281758611727?hash=item419a1f390f

Asus: n550 (Looks like a nice machine, but my last/current ASUS has a touchpad that is almost unusable and a keyboard that is annoying to type on. Other than that and the really bad/aged hardware, it isn't too bad). http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-N550JV...374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1ea180006e The w530, t450s, and etc, all seem to fit in this range as well, I think (budget wise). w520 being the cheapest probably? (Edit: scratch that, seems the w540 is a bit outside of my budget - nearing $1k or more)

I'm trying to keep my budget under 600, but for the right price and build/machine, I'm willing to go a bit higher. The y510p I've also read a few good things about as well. One of the these I have come across that doesn't seem too bad: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171865010154?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Note: I realize that these are pretty much different laptops, but I'm kind of stuck in the middle between choosing with them. I'm afraid a mobile workstation might be too specific or overkill for some of my needs (like not using CAD or doing 3d rendering) - and some of the newer tech seems to be catching up or surpassing it a bit. Regardless of the case, I can probably do a good amount of heavy load work via RDP.

Matte vs Glossy is a toss-up as I've never owned a glossy screen - and I'm not to keen with laptops for this very reason of never seeming to find what I actually need. I usually just pick up a shitty one until I run it into the ground. It may be time to actually try something that is worth it to regain my trust in them.

I've looked into macbooks and have heard great things about them, but they are a bit too pricey for me and I'm against the idea of not being able to open it to fix anything. Not to mention, I have a hackintosh for anything mac osx related I may need to work on - which is almost never, but the built-in terminal features on a mainstream OS is relieving at times.

gjt86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
It looks like the t520 I linked has a 2720QM (which is actually a dual core?). I'm not sure about weight, but I was under the impression that the T and W series do not differ much

TRENDING THREADS