Which version of this laptop?

sn0zb0z

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
I've been looking at a laptop and found two versions of it that are exactly the same except for the processor.

Both are 8GB RAM and a 1TB harddrive. The first version has an Intel Core i5-4200U 1.6GHz processor and the second version has an AMD A6-5200 APU 2GHz processor.

The price difference is £100 (roughly $170).

One laptop is £400 and the other is £500 so £100 is a big difference.

A comparison on one site shows there is little difference but another site showing the benchmarks suggests there is quite a difference so I'm confused.

Is it worth paying the extra amount for the Intel processor or is the AMD a decent processor?

Solution
Personally I wouldn't, even though the Intel is better than the AMD by a mediocre amount.
The Intel is more of a power saver, so your battery will last longer and it's also more powerful.

In conclusion, even though the Intel is better, I don't think it's better enough to be $170 more.

HoneyNut

Estimable
Apr 5, 2014
Personally I wouldn't, even though the Intel is better than the AMD by a mediocre amount.
The Intel is more of a power saver, so your battery will last longer and it's also more powerful.

In conclusion, even though the Intel is better, I don't think it's better enough to be $170 more.

Solution

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
The intel will be better for power and energy/battery. But neither will game. So depending what your doing will determine which is better. If you want to do some demanding programs then the intel would be the better bet. But if this is for office, email, web browsing and such then it wont make a difference. I'd say get the amd and with price saved pick up an ssd. huge difference between ssd and hhd.

sn0zb0z

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

I wasn't planning on gaming on it (aside from Facebook games). I would put some more demanding programs on if it could handle it but happy to use it just for Office, internet and email. I would like an SSD, but not sure if adding that would void the warranty.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Almost all laptops are fairly easy to get to the hhd bay to swap out hard drives. Most dont have a void sticker stopping you. And if you replace the ssd with the hhd that came with it before you send it in for repair, no one will even know.

And id give the intel a 40-60% better over the amd. But depending how often your going to use 100% of that cpu will determine whether the price is worth it or not. If your not going to do alot of major programs, then the a6 with a ssd will be 10x faster for normal stuff than the intel with a hhd.

Just need to figure out if you need that extra max performance.

sn0zb0z

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

Cool, thanks.

I'm terrible for multi-tasking and often have a fair few browser windows/tabs open, including playing videos online and Facebook games, and often Microsoft Office too. If it could handle it I would consider Photoshop, but I can live without that on it. If I go with AMD the SSD would certainly be worth getting.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
your multitasking would be about equal if you include the ssd with the amd. Intel stronger but the ssd would make up for it. Photoshop wouldnt be a problem with either, alot quicker with the i5, tad on slow side for amd. But all this said, amd and ssd now equals intel. But later on your could always add a ssd into the intel when budget allows and then thatd be the best.

So for most part, is a better faster experience with photoshop be better/worth it for you, or are you willing to wait a bit and save some $. Personally id go amd and ssd if i were in your boat. As i5 will be better but both of the chips arent going to be the same as i7 or anything major and more expensive which would be optimal for photoshop. So amd would be almost as good as i5, throw in the ssd now, wait a few seconds longer on heavy programs, and save some money in the process.