White laptop screen

irishgirl925

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
After running for a little while, my laptop screen goes bright white static pattern. If it happens while connected to tv by hdmi, the display remains visible on the tv just fine. If I unplug the hdmi, the screen display restores. It also goes white static when not connected to the tv but in that case, if I connect it via hdmi, the screen display restores. What is going on? I have replaced my hard drive and reloaded Windows (7) and it still happens.

Solution
Sounds like either your display cable is loose, and needs to be disconnected and reconnected. It has damage that is connecting sometimes and needs to be replaced (the cable). Or the display itself is going, but isn't dead just yet.

Were it the GPU, the external display would have problems as well. Unless they are using two different GPUs (depending on the device). If that is the case, then it could be one of them is going.
Sounds like either your display cable is loose, and needs to be disconnected and reconnected. It has damage that is connecting sometimes and needs to be replaced (the cable). Or the display itself is going, but isn't dead just yet.

Were it the GPU, the external display would have problems as well. Unless they are using two different GPUs (depending on the device). If that is the case, then it could be one of them is going.

Solution
Mar 14, 2018

Mar 14, 2018
so a loose cable or failing GPU would cause the screen to go white until I either plug in or unplug the HDMI cable? I have watched the screen go white but the TV display is fine but as soon as I pull the Hdmi plug, the laptop screen recovers or if the hdmi is not plugged in and the laptop screen goes white, it recovers when I plug in the hdmi cable. The computer is never moved, sits on the table with air space between it and the table and never seems to overheat.

When the screen goes white when there is no hdmi plugged in, sound goes out too but recovers as well when the hdmi is plugged in.