Who Needs Technology Anyway?

Muso

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2002
What's with the closing paragraph? He states that a notebook has Ghz crunching powers? Does this mean that notebook == laptop? If so, the entire paragraph makes little sense.

If it was a bit of sarcasm, it's barely perceivable; I have a pretty firm grasp on the English language and had to read it three times over...

Am I an idiot? =P

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Ironically, as Killer Notebooks tries to bring the most cutting edge technology to market (offering the Core 2 Duo T7400 for 3 weeks now in the Executioner) - bgerber STILL has NO WAY to contact him through email, Tom's hardware forms or conceivably any other way to review the system!!!

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
What's with the closing paragraph? He states that a notebook has Ghz crunching powers? Does this mean that notebook == laptop? If so, the entire paragraph makes little sense.

If it was a bit of sarcasm, it's barely perceivable; I have a pretty firm grasp on the English language and had to read it three times over...

Am I an idiot? =P

notebook == laptop, notebook is american. although we have started to use notebook in the uk to describe the really small laptops, then at the big end theres desktop replacements which are sometimes called laptops.(there meant to be as powerful as a desktop but transportable)

btw, batman has the batcar so basically that is one big pda :p

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Ironically, as Killer Notebooks tries to bring the most cutting edge technology to market (offering the Core 2 Duo T7400 for 3 weeks now in the Executioner) - bgerber STILL has NO WAY to contact him through email, Tom's hardware forms or conceivably any other way to review the system!!!

Try a messenger on a donkey; bgerber likes donkeys... :lol:

I STILL have my Nokia 3315 which I bought 4 years ago primarily because it sends and receives calls and SMS's just as well as any other phone, and it's ergonomically great. I've yet to use a newer phone which will let me write an SMS as quickly as I can on the 3315.

Oh yeah, they're also durable and dependable.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Try a messenger on a donkey; bgerber likes donkeys...
These donkeys wouldn't be from Tijuana would they?

Yes they are, but bgerber doesn't care where his ass comes from. He likes asses a lot, but it has to be big and robust, because his ass will be working on the streets. He needs to be reminided to wash his ass though, otherwise it starts to smell really bad. I can recall that he doesn't like a noisy ass, and he also has to be careful winter because his ass becomes really hairy and in summer his ass becomes really hot and sweaty.

unstable

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I have to agree here.

I've had the opportunity (or headache) of dealing with multiple types of mobile devices over the years.

The Pocket PC is a pretty good solution for what it is. It syncs fairly seamlessly with Microsoft Office and everything is happy. But what about clients who use an email and calendar other than outlook?

That's where we look at Palms. Unfortunately, Palms strength is also its' weakness. The Hotsync software allows you to sync with various email clients and calendars, however...it's very buggy. I've spent countless hours trying to get Hotsync to "talk" with different applications...sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

Then we have the issue of mobile connectivity. There's no guarantees you'll have a wireless connection when you're on the road. Sometimes you're stuck with good ol' Cat 5 or *gasp* a phone line. Chances are you're going to have to carry a couple of add-in cards for the device along with the necessary cables.

Another thing to consider is whether you plan to use the PDA email client to retrieve your mail while you're mobile. Does your organization allow you to send/receive emails from remote IP's? Many businesses do not! So you'll need a VPN client on your PDA to gain access...good luck with that...there are some VPN solutions that don't play nicely with PDA's.
This leaves you high and dry!

I guess you could always get your email via the web (if your company has this setup). For me, a PDA is too much of a PITA to use for tasks like this. It's too small, I hate using the stylus. Web pages don't display very nicely.

This is where a Blackberry is useful. My department has them and there are mixed feelings about the device. I kind of like mine while others feel like it's akin to talking into a "kleenex box".

I have my corporate mail setup to forward to my blackberry. Whenever I'm on the road, if someone emails me--it goes to my desk and also my blackberry. If it's something important I can call the person back or whip up a short email. I don't use the blackberry for contacts or calendar..or even web browsing.

If I'm going on an extended trip somewhere, I'll bring a laptop. It's basically a mobile command station. I can VPN into my organization and then run TS client to access any of my servers. Pretty soon we'll be upgrading to an Avocent IP KVM switch which will give me bios level access to any of my servers remotely...it even has a modem port in case the network is down!

Ultimately you have to use the tools that work for you. For me, a BB and a Laptop work fine.