Who Wants SteamOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
okay...a lot of my post got cut off for some reason. Short version: Valve generally has a plan, and I'm curious to see how theirs plays out.

vmem

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
basically it's going to be an OS optimized for gaming? I'm down as long as all my PC games would transfer :D

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
I really hope that SteamOS is going to be great! I've been looking to build an HTPC and SteamOS seems like a great option to try, especially with the ability to stream games from my desktop that don't support Linux. I'm already familiar with Linux so I'm a bit ahead of the learning curve that some users will ultimately encounter. However, if Valve is smart about how they integrate features, how they build the layout and UI of the OS, and how intuitive they make things like installation then this could be a great way to get people familiar with Linux while pushing PC gaming into the living room.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
If steam can get on pc, mac, linux but also on tv, tablets, and run game fine they will own the market.
I am pretty sure all major companies are working on that right now. We can see that in ads right now.

eg. mac share pictures around other macs(tablet, phone and laptops)
WII u can go from tv back to Wii and then go back to another tv and it seems wireless.

I know also that microsoft is working on something similar from pc, xbox and tv's .

The first one to build solid technology will get the most of the pie.

fat_panda

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
I just hope companies like EA, Ubisoft will jump aboard and terminate Origin and Uplay in favor of Steam and Steam OS...not likely though.

aonex

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Already a Mint user so I'll be glad to wipe Windows off my HTPC as soon as this is available (with an expanded Linux game library, of course).

brucek2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
The game streaming is of significant interest to me. I've got multiple screens I'd enjoy being able to game on, and I'd much rather be able to use inexpensive, quiet, noiseless satellites on all except one.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Could be interesting. Easy to imagine having a HTPC setup w/ this running for gaming. Plus it's free. But would need to see what support pans out to be like, what games will/will not work, the usual stuff. Would automatically imagine most stuff already on Steam will have some level of support, but if something isn't on Steam, will it also work? If not then that could hurt the long term success. What makes Windows the better PC gaming platform in general has been the support. I might look to give this a spin later this year/early next year.

noobzilla771

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Game-only OS without a bunch of other programs running sounds very efficient. Not too sure about it being Steam as I've lost trust in them. They recently locked my community market for 5 days after I reset my password (I have Steam auto-sign on for years and couldn't remember my password while shopping on my phone). There was no warning. Steam wouldn't let me use my own $50! I sent a ticket and they told me they can't remove the restriction as part of their security system. Finally on my birthday I can use the market, only to be locked down for another 7 days because I added $5 using a new payment method. Again, no warning. I feel really cheated on. Just a heads up for those using Steam's Community Market.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
For some reason this excites me a lot more than any other console right now.

Anxious to see what the Steambox itself is like.

BigMack70

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
If they ever get this to where it can run all my PC games, it's bye bye Windows for me. Please Valve, make it so!

The problem is that they've not managed to convince many AAA devs to make games for linux :(

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
I don't know what to say. This is great news and I really really really hope that this pushes DX (and being forced to use Windows in order to play 90% of the games released today) towards it's grave.

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Bwahaha! Some Micro$haft fanboy went and thumbed down all the non anti-SteamOS comments. Hilarious.

Come on. This has potential. Sure, it's Steam and I wouldn't want much to do with it, but that applies to pretty much all capitalist companies for me. If this is more efficient for gaming, even with wine in use, I'll totally use it.

Ryan Klug

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
I don't know that background processes matter much to a modern CPU. My 5-yr old Q6600 fluctuates between 0-2% at idle. That's running virus protection and the rest of full-blown Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.