Why a $35 Tablet Would Never Succeed in the U.S.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
And why can't I see "opinion" written at the start of the title?

Didn't we, the readers of Tom's Hardware solemnly decided on an unspecified day that you, Wolfgang Gruener, shall abide by the laws of the land and title all your articles that mention anything related to the company with the fruit logo as "Opinions"?

I think we did.

G

LET ME TELL U 1 THING...IM AN INDIAN
AND I KNOW 1 THING DAT THE INDIANS E1 IN THE RURAL PARTS TODAY TEND TO BUY MORE COSTLIER FONES DAN EVER...THE TIME AAKASH WAS UNVEILED IT WAS WRITTEN IN ITS DESTINY DAT IT WONT EITHER SUCCED IN INDIA...IF U IMAGINE AN ANDROID @ A COST DAT IS SO LESS AS $35 IT CLERARLY GIVES U A HINT ABT ITS LIMITATIONS...SO THIS PIECE OF TAB WONT E1 WORK IN MY COUNTRY

G

Two points: If it is not going to sell in the US why take the trouble to write it off? And b) You are talking about the US or the type who read Tomshardware, when you say 'it wont sell in US'?

G

haha This tablet is shit. India sucks
poor dipshits give this pathetic excuse for a tablet
LOL poor country

nilzza

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I can tell you in India most people access internet via the mobile phone networks, by tethering their device to their mobiles. Yes, in non-3G areas this is very slow (which is most of the country).

However it enables hundreds of millions of people with basic internet access which we have enjoyed for decades in the west: email, independent news, facebook, google....

So instead of writing a pointless article, why not report on actual user (the Indian people's) perceptions, reviews and thoughts? Who cares if it not a hit in the US? This is like the "wind up radio" for the 21st century, its for the 3rd world and developing countries.

nilzza

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I can tell you in India most people access internet via the mobile phone networks, by tethering their device to their mobiles. Yes, in non-3G areas this is very slow (which is most of the country).

However it enables hundreds of millions of people with basic internet access which we have enjoyed for decades in the west: email, independent news, facebook, google....

So instead of writing a pointless article, why not report on actual user (the Indian people's) perceptions, reviews and thoughts? Who cares if it not a hit in the US? This is like the "wind up radio" for the 21st century, its for the 3rd world and developing countries.

G

and STFU THETRUTHFUL
we all know you are poor so no need to rant about it

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I'm thinking if I were of retirement age, knew little (but at least something) about technology, didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on it but wanted access to a digital library to check-out and download eBooks, an inexpensive tablet would be perfect for me, granted the tablet was capable of running the software. Having that said, I think there IS a market in the US for a product like this, taking into consideration (1) the economy in its current state, (2) more and more "baby boomers" are of or nearing retirement age and (3) libraries (more now so) are beginning to offer downloadable content. Lets face it though, you have people from every generation that will avoid using a computer (smart phone and tablet also included) at all costs.

G

Aakash sound like some strange food or you are like AHHHH I have cash now after i bought an Ahcash :D

G

[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]I noticed that the writer mentioned that about 37% of the US population actually can access the internet via broadband connections, actually that sounds like the developing world to me. Oh wait I forgot the US actually has become the third world over the past couple of decades in almost every way.[/citation]

Explain then.

G

[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]I couldn't agree more. $600 may be average for you Wolfgang, since we all know you love apple.The average smart phone costs $250, most people in cities have one that costs $200 and rural folk don't usually have smart phones. The average phone they buy costs between $15 to $100. And most of our country is on pre-paid services, and pay about $2 for unlimited text messages and $0.002 per second for calls. I pay $0.002 for each SMS and $0.01 per minute for calls on a post paid connection. So I'm really at a loss to understand what you're talking about. It's not like you NEED an iPhone to be able to call someone.[/citation]

I think you're all misunderstanding his pricing point. He's pricing them brand new without a signup agreement with the provider. Sign a 2 year contract and most drop the price to $200.

mt2e

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
100% disagree you have to be an idiot to not think that a $60 tablet wouldn't sell out almost instantly.

trandoanhung1991

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Well, I think if it runs fast enough, you can buy like 10 of them, get some sort of control software on there, and install them all over your house. It would be awesome. You can control everything in your house, from anywhere. You can even browse the internet with it, and probably watch SD movies, HD I am quite certain is not going to happen. But still, it will cost only $600.

Damn, that's cool!!!

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]mt2e[/nom]100% disagree you have to be an idiot to not think that a $60 tablet wouldn't sell out almost instantly.[/citation]
The HP tablet was $100 and it seemed to sell well. I'm sure a $60 tablet will sell fine. I don't mind not being able to play games or videos and such. If I can type documents on it, then I'm fine with it. It's better than spending $600 on a tablet so you can type documents...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS