Why a Star Trek Warp Drive Would Be Immensely Destructive

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The first 10-15 comments made me laugh harder than I've ever laughed reading on Toms.

UmeNNis

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]People said you couldn't go faster than 100MPG, then they said the sound barrier would never be broken. We will be able to travel faster than light at some point. It won't happen in our life times though. I'm guessing maybe 200 years down the road we will be.[/citation]
Herpaderp.... 100MPG thats crazzzzy fast! Thats 'faster' than a Prius!

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Navigational deflectors, bussard collectors, and inertial dampeners.
These problems were answered (fiction) years ago in a book that I think was called "Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise".

The Star Trek -based warp theory is a bubble what allows the ship to slip behind/below normal space. (I think I recall this being where the trek-term subspace came from). Star Trek warp theory is not the same as the one presented here.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I'm still not sold on the fact that warp speed isn't subject to time dilation. Einstein stated that there is no such thing as absolute rest, and it cannot be determined whether one object is at rest relative to another object (U.S.S. Enterprise vs. the space that is warped around it, for example). Therefore, I'm thinking that the ship should still be subject to time dilation, so the first time you take off at Warp Speed or any multiple of Warp, everyone back on your home planet, base, station, etc. is dead by the time you stop the ship or return home. Not that humanity will even live long enough to achieve any form of FTL travel anyways. Physics is so incredibly fascinating but also immensely disappointing. I suppose I'll get voted down, but it is what it is.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]duxducis[/nom]that's not how warp works, Deflector dish creates black hole in front of ship, witch creates immense pull, controlling this effect with precision makes ship go fast. Impulse provides right power to ride the black hole wake. Computer provides all the needed calculations of course[/citation]
That's not warp, that's trans-warp.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]fatalata[/nom]I'm sure that this version of the USS Enterprise does not have the problem mentioned:http://loscuatroojos.com/wp-conten [...] rprise.jpg[/citation]
It can travel faster than "bud" light...

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]Antimatter79[/nom]I'm still not sold on the fact that warp speed isn't subject to time dilation. Einstein stated that there is no such thing as absolute rest, and it cannot be determined whether one object is at rest relative to another object (U.S.S. Enterprise vs. the space that is warped around it, for example). Therefore, I'm thinking that the ship should still be subject to time dilation, so the first time you take off at Warp Speed or any multiple of Warp, everyone back on your home planet, base, station, etc. is dead by the time you stop the ship or return home. Not that humanity will even live long enough to achieve any form of FTL travel anyways. Physics is so incredibly fascinating but also immensely disappointing. I suppose I'll get voted down, but it is what it is.[/citation]
In the same line of thought, it would be important to note that time is experienced through the perception of light reflecting on objects. traveling faster than light would accelerate some of those images and slow down some other depending on the light source but that is just perceived time, not actual time. unless the speed of light is also the speed of time, then warp speed is traveling faster than time. but it remains unproven for obvious reasons and for all we know, it may be only our ignorance of a better way to measure the speed of time passing than by the light we perceive... what of the invisible substances like dark matter that doesn't react to light? does it react to time?

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
They forgot to add the blue smoke and Flux capacitor to help keep things running right.

Sorry Trekkies... Cool people travel by Hyper-Space!

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I love speculation like this that is based solely on mathematical modeling of a device that no-one knows, or is even capable of determining, whether it will work. Speculation is great, but, IMHO, essentially meaningless in situations like these where science has absolutely no way of testing this in a scientific manner.

Lord Captivus

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
This thread is becaming a Nerd Fest! Thats why im here!
Love the "Real Life Warp" explanations!!

Picard: And youre telling me this now!!
Data: Im sorry...
Picard: Dont be sorry! Re-invent it!

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]This is why any warp capable space ship should be equipped with a main deflector dish. In order to repel any space particles away from the warp bubble. I's just basic warp engine design, really ...[/citation]

I think you are missing the point, the point is the space is contracting or rather it's got a huge gravity field in front, which attracts the objects to the bubble not the craft itself. The ship itself is stationary and does not actually move at all. Secondly, once the bubble stops moving the particles are shot away as beam of energy. With that said your idea really doesn't solve the problem, number one the particles aren't hitting the ship since they are outside the bubble, and number two it's the contraction of space and gravitational force that is amassing the particles against the bubble.

I think a better solution would be to collect and harness the energy. While inside the bubble itself you can't interact with the outside space, so, it's of no use to the ship, but maybe it could be used in expandng the space behind the ship which is also required for the albucierre warp drive to work. My guess is when we solve this problem it will be based on using the massive amount of energy for some purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.