Question Why CPU Utilization Is Different When Using Differ

Mar 24, 2019
Hi all,

I'm using Corel VideoStudio X8 Pro to edit video files.
However, I've found an issue about the differences among the speed of exporting video from different external hard drives.

When I use a 4T Western Digital external hard drive or a 4T Transcend external hard drive to store the original video files and use VideoStudio to edit and export the edited video to an internal hard drive, the CPU Utilization of my laptop maintains at about 89% with a stable and high CPU speed, but when I used some other hard drive including 4T ADATA external hard drive, 1T Seagate external hard drive to store the original video files and export the edited video file to the internal hard drive, the CPU Utilization fluctuates from as low as single digit % to more than 80% and can't maintain at about 89% and causes the total time taken to export the same length of video from the same project becomes a lot slower (50%) than when the 4T WD or 4T Transcend hard drives are used.

Does anyone know why does this happen and how to make the slower one become faster?

Thanks!

Mar 24, 2019
All are USB3.0 and 5400rpm.

Anyway, I've learnt that the disk cache matters a lot, this should be the reason.

Thanks.